Do all wheels with 5x114.3mm fit explorers or do other factors come in to play | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do all wheels with 5x114.3mm fit explorers or do other factors come in to play

I know you are probably going to say all 5x114.3 wheels fit explorers and that I should have used the seach bar. I did use the search bar and I couldn't find any information to support my question.

I have seen that many other wheels for cars and trucks of other makes and models have the same bolt pattern, such as the ford escape, crown victoria, and jeep cherokee, but have different offset ranges and center bores.

I know the explorer has an offset range of 8-20mm which can also be interpreted as medium and high positive offset and the front and rear center bore is 70.6mm.

Does one need to make any modifications before mounting wheels with different center bores and offsets or do they just bolt right up with no problem? Would spacers solve the problem? Thanks

-Marc

You can mount whatever wheels you want to, but you take chances if the centers are not the right ones, so, in that case many wheel manufacturers will say , and /or offer hub centric wheel spacers that go btween the wheel center bore and the hub so that you have a wider range of wheels that will fit,. ,

In order of importance when picking wheels :

Pattern > Weight Rating > Offset > bore size > Hub/Lugcentric > Style

Thank you. I was just curious to my options

-Marc

Back