do I actually have a tow package? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

do I actually have a tow package?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That answers enough for me at my level of expertise. So what tranny does the OP have?

Great thing here is there is most always someone who can find good answers.

Another question is when I use my Tow button, exactly what is it doing? It probably is not adding a cooler. I would imagine it locks clutches somehow to keep from slipping??

I can't say for sure but since he has a Sport and the 6F55 was designed for the Ecoboost my guess is that he has that transmission.

Another question is when I use my Tow button, exactly what is it doing? It probably is not adding a cooler. I would imagine it locks clutches somehow to keep from slipping??
There is a detailed explanation on page 223 of your Owner's Manual.

Peter

Raises the shift points (keeps it in gear longer before shifting to be in a better powerband) and also keeps it from going into overdrive.

I just bought an explorer today for my wife and saw this thread. I was trying to figure out as well if i had the heavy duty towing package as the window sticker just said tow package.

We bought a 2011 by the way.

Anyways I panicked when I saw the thing about the cutout in the lower valence since ours does not have that. But I just verified on etis.ford.com and we do have the heavy duty transmission/coolers/7pin wiring/class III and the tow button.

So I dont know if I would go off of the valence cutout thing!

I just bought an explorer today for my wife and saw this thread. I was trying to figure out as well if i had the heavy duty towing package as the window sticker just said tow package.

We bought a 2011 by the way.

Anyways I panicked when I saw the thing about the cutout in the lower valence since ours does not have that. But I just verified on etis.ford.com and we do have the heavy duty transmission/coolers/7pin wiring/class III and the tow button.

So I dont know if I would go off of the valence cutout thing!
The cutout and associated air duct are to allow for cooling of the back of the engine, transmission/PTU area. Do you have the air duct that should be attached behind the cutout area? I wonder if someone may have replaced that valance at one time with the standard valance found on Explorers without the tow package? :dunno:

Peter

The cutout and associated air duct are to allow for cooling of the back of the engine, transmission/PTU area. Do you have the air duct that should be attached behind the cutout area? I wonder if someone may have replaced that valance at one time with the standard valance found on Explorers without the tow package? :dunno:

Peter

That's what my thought was because they all came with it.

I thought you can also add the tow button after and all the wiring is there? I think someone else posted about it a while back

I thought you can also add the tow button after and all the wiring is there? I think someone else posted about it a while back

Yes you can add the button easily.

Do you have a "TOW" button? Just checked the 2014 Manual and according to it if you press the 'Tow' button the "Tow/Haul" will be displayed in the Instrument Cluster.
The picture is of what I had in my 2011 without the tow package.

No, I do not have the tow button. Still confused if that is the only thing I am missing or if there are other items missing as well. I'm pretty positive the hitch was a factory part and not added later.

When I go through Vehicle settings I have "trailer sway control." and I have the option to calculate fuel consumption by regular driving or towing but no other options for towing. Does the trailer sway control just have to do with AWD or with braking?

I had to loan the Explorer to my parents for the week so I can't check anything else out right now.

I will climb under it later today once my wife gets home and check for the ducting. I'm guessing the valence was just replaced because most people tear them up parking anyways. It's only 100 bucks for the valence so I can put t he correct one on there.

I will climb under it later today once my wife gets home and check for the ducting. I'm guessing the valence was just replaced because most people tear them up parking anyways. It's only 100 bucks for the valence so I can put t he correct one on there.
I'm starting to think that the tow package was NOT factory installed but added on later. There is a video by a member adding a class III tow hitch.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...itch-kit-for-gen-5-explorer-c-w-video.386861/

Peter

Ok, just had my dad go check for me since he is borrowing it this week. The hitch is a class III rated at 5000 lbs. Again, it appears to be a factory installed hitch.

I found another thread that said "For those that don't know... on the Sport, the only differences with the tow package and non tow package is this button (part # BB5Z13D730CA), the hitch, and the wiring harness. Installation took about 2 minutes."

There wasn't much more detail than that but they added the button. Would adding the tow button actually put it in "tow" mode and change the transmission shift points or would there be additional programming involved?

I have the 6f55 transmission since its a sport, and the class III hitch and wiring... However, it does say "less engine oil cooler."

Ok, just had my dad go check for me since he is borrowing it this week. The hitch is a class III rated at 5000 lbs. Again, it appears to be a factory installed hitch.

I found another thread that said "For those that don't know... on the Sport, the only differences with the tow package and non tow package is this button (part # BB5Z13D730CA), the hitch, and the wiring harness. Installation took about 2 minutes."

There wasn't much more detail than that but they added the button. Would adding the tow button actually put it in "tow" mode and change the transmission shift points or would there be additional programming involved?

I have the 6f55 transmission since its a sport, and the class III hitch and wiring... However, it does say "less engine oil cooler."
Sorry,I still think it was an aftermarket factory hitch install. ETIS shows "less tow package" (according to earlier post), you don't have the valance cutout, likely don't have the cooling air duct and you don't have the 'Tow' button. That is something the factory would not forget to install and ETIS would show a tow package. Did you check the video? That was a factory class III hitch install.

Peter

I believe you are confusing me with Preston904 on this thread. I have the sport and i have the cutout and the air duct and the 6f55 transmission. I quoted that other thread since the OP seems to think the only difference is the "tow button" but there isn't really any other supporting information.

I believe you are confusing me with Preston904 on this thread. I have the sport and i have the cutout and the air duct and the 6f55 transmission. I quoted that other thread since the OP seems to think the only difference is the "tow button" but there isn't really any other supporting information.
:eek: Sorry about that. :(

Peter

BTW guys this is the oil cooler. It is mounted on the front of the engine next to the oil filter.
oilcooler.JPG

oilcooler1.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went through all that when i retrofitted a towing package on my 16 NA XLT
To add the oil cooler, you need a different oil filter adapter/mounting plate and a different radiator lower hose and the hoses between cooler and radiator hose
The oil cooler mount on the oil filter adapter

Back