do I actually have a tow package? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

do I actually have a tow package?

Mr Squatch

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I have a 2014 explorer sport. It has the receiver hitch and wiring and the settings for trailer sway control, however, I don't have the tow/ haul button on the dash or in any settings. Would that mean I don't have the rest of the package such as the transmission cooler? I'll probably never actually use it for towing but after surfing the site today it got me thinking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2014 explorer sport. It has the receiver hitch and wiring and the settings for trailer sway control, however, I don't have the tow/ haul button on the dash or in any settings. Would that mean I don't have the rest of the package such as the transmission cooler? I'll probably never actually use it for towing but after surfing the site today it got me thinking.

Does your hitch hid behind the bumper with a cover that has to be removed to expose it?

Yes, it is the factory installed hitch with wiring and the cover. It is a used vehicle and I've had it since October 2016.

Send me your VIN and I can look up the factory options that it was made with.

The XSport with the 3.5L EB, does not require a tranny cooler.

Click my name then "start a conversation "

Just pulled it up on etis.ford.com and it says your vehicle was built "less trailer towing", so now factory tow package.

If it had the tow package it would have said "With Class III Trailer Towing"

Well I definitely have the cutout and the cheesy ducting/ removable skid plate (or whatever it is) behind it. But according to Sheltonfilms my vin shows "less trailer towing". Seems like everything else is there minus the tow button on the dash.

Well I definitely have the cutout and the cheesy ducting/ removable skid plate (or whatever it is) behind it. But according to Sheltonfilms my vin shows "less trailer towing". Seems like everything else is there minus the tow button on the dash.
Just occurred to me that you have the Sport and the Sport has that cutout and air duct to assist in turbo cooling. Other trim levels have that cutout as part of the towing package. Sorry about not catching that before.:( I guess that hitch was added after the fact and would still give your Explorer a capacity to tow up to 2000 lbs. Even a class III added aftermarket would only be rated for 2000 lbs.

Peter

Just occurred to me that you have the Sport and the Sport has that cutout and air duct to assist in turbo cooling. Other trim levels have that cutout as part of the towing package. Sorry about not catching that before.:( I guess that hitch was added after the fact and would still give your Explorer a capacity to tow up to 2000 lbs. Even a class III added aftermarket would only be rated for 2000 lbs.

Peter

I'm still scratching my head on this one of why only 2000 lbs. My Limited with TP says with engine cooler but his says less engine cooler. Is there an actual inline engine oil cooler (like mini radiator style)?

Also because of no engine cooler and the fact that a normal 3.5 would have the 6f35 transmission vs the 6f55 on 3.5 w/ tow and sports maybe that is why Ford says 2000 lbs. So maybe a Sport with an engine cooler could be rated the full Class 3.

I'm still scratching my head on this one of why only 2000 lbs. My Limited with TP says with engine cooler but his says less engine cooler. Is there an actual inline engine oil cooler (like mini radiator style)?

Also because of no engine cooler and the fact that a normal 3.5 would have the 6f35 transmission vs the 6f55 on 3.5 w/ tow and sports maybe that is why Ford says 2000 lbs. So maybe a Sport with an engine cooler could be rated the full Class 3.

Tow packages have the 6f55, non tow packages even with the 3.5 ecoboost have the 6f50 (if I recall correctly). The 6f35 was for the 2.0 (and I assume the 2.3 ecoboost).

Tow packages have the 6f55, non tow packages even with the 3.5 ecoboost have the 6f50 (if I recall correctly). The 6f35 was for the 2.0 (and I assume the 2.3 ecoboost).

I got the number wrong I meant 6f50 in place of the 6f35 I put above.

In ETIS his Sport shows 6f55.

So what is the difference in transmissions? 6f50/6f55

So what is the difference in transmissions? 6f50/6f55

55 is a more heavier duty transmission. If I had to guess the planetary set has more pinions and each clutch pack has more steels and friction discs to handle more torque/load.

That was the difference between Fords old 4r44e/4t55e transmissions.

55 is a more heavier duty transmission. If I had to guess the planetary set has more pinions and each clutch pack has more steels and friction discs to handle more torque/load.

That was the difference between Fords old 4r44e/4t55e transmissions.
Guessing is good but it would be nice to know exactly. Especially if I were the OP

Do you have a "TOW" button? Just checked the 2014 Manual and according to it if you press the 'Tow' button the "Tow/Haul" will be displayed in the Instrument Cluster.
The picture is of what I had in my 2011 without the tow package.

Peter

P3060184_001.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back