Do injectors get pulled when replacing lower intake gasket? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do injectors get pulled when replacing lower intake gasket?

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
I'm replacing my lower intake manifold gasket tomorrow. Do the fuel injectors need to be pulled out?

I'm just wondering because if they do I want to make sure I use new injector o-rings. They always seem to get a little buggered up on me when I pull the fuel rail out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm replacing my lower intake manifold gasket tomorrow. Do the fuel injectors need to be pulled out?

I'm just wondering because if they do I want to make sure I use new injector o-rings. They always seem to get a little buggered up on me when I pull the fuel rail out.

If your going to pull the center head off = lower intake and change the gasket and the fuel rail and plenum gasket. Then by all means replace the O-rings on the injectors for the price they cost and the headache associated with pulling all that stuff off to change them later on. Its worth doing it when your down that far already.

Like me i changed them even though i don't need to do the lower intake gasket = center head. All i am doing is the fuel rail and plenum gaskets, so i pulled the injectors out and replaced the O-rings as i may as well since i was down that far already.

I've always done it when I pulled apart my OHV (I don't know which motor your looking at)..

When I built the motor (rebuilt motor) I put the injectors/fuel rail onto the manifold and then bolted the manifold onto the heads/block. It made it so much easier that I'm going to try to do that next time I pull the intake off (hopefully not for a long time).

~Mark

I guess I'm a little confused.

I bought the Fel-Pro Intake manifold gasket set which includes the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, the rubber seals (3) for the upper intake manifold, valve cover gaskets and RTV black for the intake maifold end seals.

Am I missing the fuel rail gasket then?

It's a '99 OHV Ranger.

Oh, OK....I just looked online and what I'm calling the upper intake manifold gasket is in fact the fuel injection plenum gasket set (gasket and rubber seals).

Is this the set here the first one?

No...I can't get the page to come up....it's on the autozone.com website, $89.99...metal intake gaskets. Part # MS 98006 T

Ok that set only comes with one valve cover gasket, but if your not leaking oil from the gasket then no need to replace it, unless you need to change the lower intake gasket = center head.

Which motor is it 4.0L if so then the center head does not need to be pulled off and gaskets changed unless your leaking from it.

The Injectors are the same style as mine and maniaks and who ever has a OHV 4.0L engine, they just pull out from the center head once the fuel rail is off.

Thanks MAD...on the website it says the set only comes with 1 valve cover gasket for some reason...it DOES in fact come with both of them. It's the 4.0 OHV.

Thanks MAD...on the website it says the set only comes with 1 valve cover gasket for some reason...it DOES in fact come with both of them. It's the 4.0 OHV.

Ok thats cool.

I was on their site and man they got a pretty good write up on how to take it all apart.. :)

Check it out scrool down to the 4.0L OHV section:

Thanks for your help Mad...makes my life a little easier and that's much appreciated!!! Anthony

Your welcome and make sure to bleed the pressure from the fuel rail first from the schrader valve before taking lines off, have a rag under it as Gas Will spray out.

If your valve covers are not leaking then i would not change them. If they are leaking or look like they may leak soon then change them.

The center head = lower intake samething if its leaking then replace it otherwise don't, if it looks like it needs to be changed then do so. If its leaking it will leak oil out and or coolant as the water jackets (holes are with in the gasket area) and Oil is under the gasket area as well.

Just look at it good when you take the plenum and fuel rail off.

Here is my thread on what i have done so far as i am waiting for my valve covers to come to my door as my driverside was rotted out.

I changed the fuel rail gasket so far and torqued the rail down, i have yet to do the plenum gasket as i need that valve cover first. I also when i had the fuel rail off pulled the injectors out from the center head = lower intake and changed the O-rings on the injectors.

I have pics in the thread of my work thusfar, not a walk through, but just some info and pics.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1907044#post1907044

I thought those pics looked familiar, heh...I actually printed them off yesterday in preparation for tomorrow. See, your hard work comes in handy for many others!!!

Yeah, my whole point of doing this job is to replace the lower intake manifold gasket. I'm pinging pretty bad under load and I'm losing oil without a trace of it ANYWHERE.

I've been told over and over that this is actually quite common....a breech in the lower intake manifold gasket causes oil to get sucked in to the combustion chambers, causing the pinging and loss of oil.

I also have oil on three of the spark plug threads on the right side of the motor. I was told that this is yet another sign of a bad lower intake gasket. I ran compression tests and compression is excellent, 160-170 on all cylinders so I KNOW my rings are ok.

My valve cover gaskets ARE leaking. Some of the bolts were so loose I could take them out by hand, heh.

I thought those pics looked familiar, heh...I actually printed them off yesterday in preparation for tomorrow. See, your hard work comes in handy for many others!!!

Yeah, my whole point of doing this job is to replace the lower intake manifold gasket. I'm pinging pretty bad under load and I'm losing oil without a trace of it ANYWHERE.

I've been told over and over that this is actually quite common....a breech in the lower intake manifold gasket causes oil to get sucked in to the combustion chambers, causing the pinging and loss of oil.

I also have oil on three of the spark plug threads on the right side of the motor. I was told that this is yet another sign of a bad lower intake gasket. I ran compression tests and compression is excellent, 160-170 on all cylinders so I KNOW my rings are ok.

My valve cover gaskets ARE leaking. Some of the bolts were so loose I could take them out by hand, heh.

Ah yes then it appears you have a lower intake gasket leaking oil into those cylinders. Did you try and retorque the center head = lower intake bolts to see if it stops this issue or if they are loose?

If so or even if it does not help then your up for a big job, EASY, but big.

Drain your coolant too as i am sure your aware of that as the water jackets run through the gasket, plus check it for OIL and check your oil for coolant or water substance in it, frothy white stuff.

Does it also appear your loosing coolant for no reason, small amount over time?

No, I've actually checked my coolant levels a few times recently, and it's staying right where it should.

Yeah, I'm thinking that this job will take me a good part of the day? I think that once I take everything off of the top of the engine it'll be much easier.

I'm psyched about METAL gaskets!!! They're sweet. My wife thinks I need to get a life if something like that is exciting to me.

No, I've actually checked my coolant levels a few times recently, and it's staying right where it should.

Yeah, I'm thinking that this job will take me a good part of the day? I think that once I take everything off of the top of the engine it'll be much easier.

I'm psyched about METAL gaskets!!! They're sweet. My wife thinks I need to get a life if something like that is exciting to me.

Yes look at least 6-8 hours or more if you like cleaning up nice and good.

Metal Gaskets are nice to have and i did not buy the full gasket set as all i need is the upper and fuel rail and valve cover gaskets.

I bought the plenum and fuel rail gaskets from ford and then i ordered a felpro set whihc had one gasket for the plenum and 2 valve cover gaskets, i wanted to use fords gaskets for the rail and plenum.

No i get pinging to, but i don't get oil on my plugs and my coolant seems to be stable.

My pinging is due to what gas i use and for now on i recommend all to buy 91 to 95 octane for these explorers or 4.0L engines.

As for your wife well tell her to join you while you celebrate your new love... :)

Yeah, could you imagine what FORD would want for that job?!!!

My wife doesn't even like coming into the garage!!!

I hear that Ontario is Ford truck country, is that true?

Yeah, could you imagine what FORD would want for that job?!!!

My wife doesn't even like coming into the garage!!!

I hear that Ontario is Ford truck country, is that true?

Yeah here they charge $99.99 CDN per hour so guess how much and parts on top and their gaskets too and injector o-rings. It would be at least a $900.00 or $1100.00 job. I did buy O-rings for injectors right from ford.

Well Ontario has many hills and areas to drive in and trails, mud and it is also known for SALT AND SAND in winter time on roads = my rusty valve cover and many vehicles will get like this over 10-15 years or sooner as i have seen some 3-5 year old trucks and cars starting to rust on the body... horrible that SALT MIX WITH SAND, but it helps a lot for ICE conditions. PPL need to oil their vehicles underbodys and inner doors and fenders up here more often to combate rust. If i had my EX from new it would have been taken care of more.

Ontario rules for 4x4ing and FORD RULES up here. I will take on any Canuk who states otherwise... :)

Yeah a good friend told me that when he was in Canada he swore it seemed like in order to live their you had to drive a Ford truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, here in NY state the salt they put down is just ridiculous. You don't buy vehicles around here more than a few years old because any older and they're already starting to rust.

I've heard about you guys and your oil treatments to help slow the rust. What kind of oil are you using...aerosol? 10W30? Heh...

Back