• Register Today It's free!

Do Mustang Wheels fit the PIU?

DHG2496

Reaction score
City, State
Fruitport, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Explorer PIU 3.5EB
Hey everyone, I'm still shopping for a PIU but while doing so, I came across a PIU with what appear to be 18" Mustang wheels from a 2013 GT.
url
(Redirect Notice)

Does anyone know if these would bolt right up or I thought they would be different bolt patterns and offsets so I was surprised to see them on a PIU and also not find any threads when searching.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, no member has posted about putting 18" Mustang wheels on an Explorer. As for the bolt pattern, they must be the same if they are installed on a PIU. No idea about the offset.

Peter

These particular mustang wheels looked like the following FORD MUSTANG WHEEL RIM HYPER SILVER HOL.3862-HSHSHS-A
Says they are 5-114.3 w/ 42mm offset. Hub Bore is 70.5., I actually misspoke as these are 19x9 wheels.

I just figured if Mustang wheels were an easy fit that more people would be using them, so it just surprised me and figured they must have used an adapter. I wish I had grabbed a screenshot of the add, but it appears to have sold already.

There's only a few measurements to check.
Diameter
Width
Offset
Bolt pattern
Centerbore

Bolt pattern is same between both. You'd have to check offset to verify mustang rims will work (this goes hand in hand with rim width to an extent and spacers can/may be necessary in some circumstances). Centerbore is different, so you'd want to get hub centric rings if using mustang wheels on an explorer.

None of this stuff is real difficult if you take a few minutes to research it and understand the info you need to compare. All the info is pretty much readily available online and there are websites to help you see if the width/offset of the rims you want may cause problems.

These particular mustang wheels looked like the following FORD MUSTANG WHEEL RIM HYPER SILVER HOL.3862-HSHSHS-A
Says they are 5-114.3 w/ 42mm offset. Hub Bore is 70.5., I actually misspoke as these are 19x9 wheels.

I just figured if Mustang wheels were an easy fit that more people would be using them, so it just surprised me and figured they must have used an adapter. I wish I had grabbed a screenshot of the add, but it appears to have sold already.
Check out this post in a thread in the 6th gen forum and the following one regarding the hub. Winter tires - questions

Peter

Thanks for the info and reminder about the hub centric rings. I’m just new to the explorers so I figured if they were compatible there would be lots of threads about what fits or doesn’t. So it just surprised me to see them on one and appearing to fit well. Not sure they were done right but they looked good.

I just picked up a 2014 Michigan State Police Blue PIU tonight. So will definitely be looking into this more. Guy gave me leather front seats and console with it too so off to the threads on installing those! And next update my profile!!!

You could also look for Taurus wheels. The PIU factory aluminum wheel option (first available in 2015) are the same used on the Taurus SEL for those years.

Back