Will Mustang/Shelby wheels fit the our new Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will Mustang/Shelby wheels fit the our new Explorer?

Dr Plastic

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'15 Limited FWD
Also what are the stock dimensions of Explorer wheels?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also what are the stock dimensions of Explorer wheels?
I had to go to the Canadian Ford site to get the wheel sizes. For some reason I couldn't find that info on Ford.com.
The Boss has 245/35WR19 fronts and 285/35WR19's on the rear. When comapring these sizes against the Base (245/65R17), XLT (245/60R18) and Limited (255/50R20) the tire calculator says these (mustang) tires should not be used because the diameter difference far exceeds the max recommended of 3%.
Unfortunately I do not know the exact specs of the wheels. Your local dealer's parts department may be able to help there. Ford doesn't seem to release this info readily.

Peter

I am planning on just getting a set of 18" ers and using the stock tires so I only need to know the wheel specs

They'll fit however the backspacing is the problem cause if I recall its in the neighborhood of like 6 inches or so.. Maximum amount of backspacing a Explorer could work with is 4 to 4.5 inches.

I thought that would be a sticking (the backspacing) issue. Thanks for the info.

Back