Do vent visors / window deflectors reduce wind noise? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do vent visors / window deflectors reduce wind noise?

rs2k

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
There's some wind noise I hear while cruising at highway speeds coming from the top of the window. I was wondering if adding vent visors / window deflectors might reduce this while the windows are up. I've been told they can reduce the noise on some vehicles while on others it makes no difference at all. I was wondering what category the Explorer fit under.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the stick on the outside ones, not the in channel ones, and they seem to be quieter, i noticed that i don't have to turn up the stereo as loud,,

For sure go with the Weathertechs, my dad has been installing them for years with his tinting business, and never had any problems. I got some second hand Ventshades, they are pretty good, same in channel design, just a little bit more flimsy.

I have the stick-on Auto Vent Shades on both my EB and Montaineer. I don't think they help at all with wind noise. The EB is quite and the Mountaineer driver's door/window makes noise. The main thing that causes wind noise is a bad door seal. Check the weatherstrip visually first. If it looks okay (no tears or chunks missing) take a strip of paper, or a dollar bill, and close the door on it. You should feel resistance pulling it out all around the door (start with the top). Someone also recommend smearing the seal with vasoline and closing the door to check for contact all the way around (sounded messy to me). New OE style seals are available on-line for around $32. I like the vent visors (whichever brand) so I can leave the windows open a little in the summer w/out worrying about rain getting in. Just watch out for the leaf-blower guys, LOL.

If you think the window is causing the problem, try taping it up and going for a ride to see if the noise goes away.

Just got a set of EGR vent shades in channel. Installed the rear, looked like the window wasn't happy with it in there...lol. Installed the front and the window would not stay up! Kept opening half way. Thought I didn't install correctly and did it over and over. Same result so going to return and get the outside vent shades from ford!

Back