Does size matter? 2.25"/2.50" pipe | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does size matter? 2.25"/2.50" pipe

CaptKirk

Reaction score
City, State
Bay, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I am looking for a cat back for my truck. I am planning on the Flowmaster 50 cat back from Stylin Concepts. But the tail pipe is 2.25" single outlet. Will that make much difference from the 2.50" that I see a lot of you have? Also, I noticed the Flow Master is 16 ga. thick and the Gibson system they offer for the same price is 14 ga. thick. Anyone have a gibson with the SOHC? How does that sound comparred to the Flow Master?

i personally love the way my flowmaster 50 series with 2.5" pipe sounds. i dont think you can make a 4.0 sounds much better..

The 2.50" pipe is almost overkill for a 4.0L engine. A 2.25" pipe is plenty large enough for the 4.0L. You will get a slightly deeper sound with the 2.50" pipe, but other than that I doubt you'll see any other differences. As for Gibson vs. Flomaster, its a mtter of personal opinion. They are both quality systems and worth the asking price, but there is a slight difference in sound between the two (Flowmater is a little deeper at idle and louder at higher RPM, but not much). In the end I'm sure you'll be happy with either system.

Back