Doing a headgasket on 98 exp 5.0 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Doing a headgasket on 98 exp 5.0

Just rub it in on that transmission.... :) Glad you got it running. Mine is far from breaking the tires loose once it is rolling. :) :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97 miles on new motor. driving 140 miles to work tomorrow for the rest of the work week. should have close to 500 by the weekend!

thursday night.. 320 miles and so far so good. I will be at about 520 miles by about this time tomorrow. then i will do my first oil change. There was not too much darkness in the oil from assembly lube so thats why i am waiting til the 500 mile mark. KILL

Good deal. I have about 100 miles on mine since getting it back on the road. Seems to run better every day. Engine was sitting so long, rings probably needed to reseat. :)

550 miles on motor.. went off roading with it for the first time in a relatively flat river bed that had moderate soft sand throughout. it handles great. My buddy was suprised at how well it did STOCK. He has a 94 grand chorokee with same AWD but in his jeep the AWD does have a low selectable setting. it would be nice to have a low setting in a AWD explorer.

some problems have come up in the last 2 days.. had my Air Conditioner filled. When I used it yesterday the outter portion of the ac pulley that spins when the ac is on.. well the 3 outtter snouts on that a/c pulley was rubbing the tranny line and i caught it in time.. it was making a noise for about 30 minutes of use and could not figure out what it was.. this morning i looked and the line is chaffed away but not so deep that it went through the line totally. So i just layed under the car and pulled the line away from the a/c pulley and all is good now. I went to ford this morning and bought a new upper idler pulley because I inherited a intermitting squeal and it's from the belt or one of the pulleys up high....also bought 2 new hood shocks.. i had to order a new oil dipstick because i broke the handle off the original last month.. i have a vacuum cap on the tube right now.. AND the rear of my oil pan is leaking :thumbdwn: .. put it up on my buddies lift and we thought it was possibly the rear main seal then when we removed the scatter shield the flexplate was dry on both sides and the inside bottom of the trans bellhousing was dry as day.. gonna remedy the oil pan next week through a hook up. All in all the things runs great except for all the lil ****, it seems. :cool:

Have you checked your gas mileage?? Just filled up today. 16.7 mpg. :) Not bad considering a lot of city driving. I imagine I can get 18 with my normal week.

Have you checked your gas mileage?? Just filled up today. 16.7 mpg. :) Not bad considering a lot of city driving. I imagine I can get 18 with my normal week.

i did somewhat peep that out.. 90% highway and got damn near 300miles to a tank.

as far as my belt/pulley squeal... i changed the upper idler.. removed the belt and washed it in soapy water.. rinsed it thoroughly and let it dry.. threw it back on and BAM no more squeal.. i was happy as ****.. ALSO got the hook up on a CHERRY picker.. my friend is going to jail for AWHILE and he is storing all his mechanics stuff and kickin me down his cherry picker and I will be doing the motor pull this weekend to fix what i thought was a good one piece gasket on the oil pan... also will be doing a head retorque, lower intake retorque, 1.7 rocker install and whatever else i can manage while its out.. should have this done by Saturday night. wish me much luck.. PEACE

Stock cam??? I was going to put an HO cam in mine when I had it out, but the guy couldn't find it. Of course, he found it now.. :)

ok.. pulled the motor this last friday.. found the problem of leaking oil... changed rear main seal...put RTV on the flexplate bolts and dropped her back in and so far so good. it took me a lil over a day to complete this job. the explorer now has 1300 miles on it. runs pretty good and i did also install Cobra 1.72 roller rockers.

RTV? I use Locktite on those suckers. They won't leak, but from the factory they put that on there so they don't back out. You should be fine though.

I think he was doing that for a leak, the crank has no oil in those flywheel holes. Use loctite, one drop of red for those.

maybe it was chevy but i know one of the flexplate bolt holes were oil related. i did it because i was trying to be sure not to pull the motor again. explorer now has 1600 miles on it and so far so good! i do not know what caused the damn rear main seal to fail but it only costed me 26bux to pull motor and change it!! 26 was the price to rent the cherry picker for the wkd.

That's not bad. There are dozens of parts in an engine, it isn't as easy to build one as it may seem.

That's not bad. There are dozens of parts in an engine, it isn't as easy to build one as it may seem.

but the shortblock came assembled from 50resto.com they have a waranty on it.. maybe i should hit them up for the 26 bux for the damn cherry picker.

You could try, seals are sensitive parts that can allow a leak early on. It's usually from being a cheap quality seal though, IMO. I try to use only Ford seals.

new motor has 9k miles on it.. runs great.. I wana sell it but waiting for a reasonable offer.

here i am...back from the dead... the new motor is just short of 18k miles. runs great...no problems to report of as of yet.... i got it stuck off roading on the dunes... it hella sucked but it was all good... i think i might have a flexplate or converter goiong out.. not sure if the flexplate is broke.. its a revolution clicking noise that gets greater with RPM... its real bad in reverse. its still drives fine.. owell...otherwise all good!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Must be those flexplate bolts backing out due to the RTV. :) I kid...

Back