Dome light wire - LED Grill lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dome light wire - LED Grill lights

Esutek27

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer
I am the proud owner of a 2016 Base 3.5 and love it. My wife has a 2016 XLT and she couldn't be happier.

I wasn't sure where to post this so please move if need be.

I am looking to add a set of LED's to the front grill area of my truck. The base doesn't come with any other lights and I LOVE the new LED low beams but the front is missing something.

I would like to add a set of LED lights to the lower of the grill openings. Can I just tap into the parking light power wire so they come on when the lights come on?

I would also like to add footwell lights without spending the money on the Ford kit. I just dropped a ton of cash for these vehicles so money is a bit tight. I would like them to come on when the door is opened and go off when it closes along with the dimming function.

Is the wiring similar on the 16's as compared to the 15's and such?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Bobby

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to add the LEDs to the front with the park lights, you should do a few things. First You should buy a relay, 15 amp is acceptable. Run your power from the battery and use the relay as your source to tap into the wire harness of the park lights to control your on off. You can do the same thing with the lights for your door, you just have to find the wire that is activated by the door switch.

Sho,

I was thinking that with the very low amp draw of the LED lights I wouldn't need a relay. May go with how you have said. In other words the 12v from the parking lights would be the trigger to close the relay and power the lights? Correct?

As far as the footwell lights go I was able to find the wire in the rocker panel box on the drivers side. 12v with the door unlocked and than a decrease to zero volts when the interior lights go off. Triggered with any door or the hatch. It's a 18-20g grey w purple stripe wire. Works great. I may post a video when it gets dark.

Thanks for the heads up on the front LED's.

Sho,

I was thinking that with the very low amp draw of the LED lights I wouldn't need a relay. May go with how you have said. In other words the 12v from the parking lights would be the trigger to close the relay and power the lights? Correct?

As far as the footwell lights go I was able to find the wire in the rocker panel box on the drivers side. 12v with the door unlocked and than a decrease to zero volts when the interior lights go off. Triggered with any door or the hatch. It's a 18-20g grey w purple stripe wire. Works great. I may post a video when it gets dark.

Thanks for the heads up on the front LED's.

LEDs in the footwell look great, what kit or LEDs did you use to light up the footwells?

Back