• Register Today It's free!

Door Lock/Key Fob problems...

06XLS

Reaction score
City, State
Coos Bay Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Ford Explorer XLS
I am having trouble with two things though... The remote lock control doesn't work. I bought a new battery and it still don't work. Is there something I may need to do to program it? I tested the old battery and it only had 0.3VDC. I tried to use the remote programming procedure, but it didn't work. I couldn't get the fob to send a signal, or the receiver isn't working. One or the other isn't working. Where can I get a new key fob? Or is there another way to test the fob?

Also, I am having trouble locking the doors with the door lock button on the door panel. I press it to lock and within about 1 second it unlocks again. Not sure what to do about that. I can't lock it. As noted above, the key fob isn't working, and it doesn't have a keyless code entry point. It's an XLS model. I found instructions on pg. 98 of the manual to turn off a autolock feature. I went through the process and it seemed to work OK. Then I drove it again and when I stopped and got out, I tried to lock it and within 1 second again it unlocked. I had to manually lock the 4 doors by hand, but the rear lift gate was still unlocked. I had to leave it that way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For trying to reprogram your remote, see my advice on your last post.

I did the procedure I found in the instruction manual, which is the same instructions I found in the google search. When it comes to the part where you push the button on the key fob, nothing happens. I think the fob is bad. I also told you that the battery was bad. It had 1 tenth of the voltage needed, so I replaced it. I have been an electronics engineer for 30 years now, so I understand radio transmitters, and receivers. I just do not have the tools to test the output of the fob. I don't think it is putting out any signal, or the receiver is not working, and not processing the signal received properly. Not sure which.

Well for starters you should probably get a second remote. I noticed that a local Ace Hardware had them but I did not check the price. I did do a google search and saw them as low a $2.74 from Amazon. I am sure that they won't be that cheap at the hardware store but they still can't be that expensive. And the hardware store might even let you try to program it before you buy it?

With a new remote, you will quickly be able to tell if you have other issues. Maybe stopping by a dealer to ask about your "auto-unlock problem" would yield results. At least the dealer should be savvy about the operation and let you know if there is actually a problem or just a setting.

Ok first lets take a breath and relax, Now, don't we feel better? Do you have a Autozone or Advance auto in your area? If you do go to one and look for the remote test station.

far-forward-energizer-straight-entry-sign-main.jpg

Then test till your hearts content! My 2008 Explorer only unlocks its self if I push the lock button while its running it unlock the door after a second or two. I can lock and unlock the doors with the remote all day long running or not. Do you only have 1 key and one remote?

Great post Polizi. I do not have any problems with my two fobs nor with any other aspect of my lock/unlock system, but I will stop by Autozone and test out their tester.

Great post Polizi. I do not have any problems with my two fobs nor with my with any other aspect of my lock/unlock system, but I will stop by Autozone and test out their tester.

I am glad to hear your Fobs are all ok, Now if we can get 06xls all fixed up, well then we will have done something!

Well, I just found your reply. I've been doing maintenance on the new girl. While I was out collecting oil and filter, I was at O'Reilly's Auto parts. They had one of those testers pictured above. Guess what. My fob is dead. So I just ordered 2 new ones from ikeyless.com Hopefully that will fix me up as far as that goes.

I think I may have some other issues though. I can only get the doors to lock if I drive 12MPH and then open only the driver door and manually lock it and close the door. Also, the average MPG resets every time I stop the engine and remove the key. Then I re-insert the key and start it and the MPG goes right to 0MPG. I wonder if it is like a radio's clock which has to have a full time power source to keep the correct time. Maybe I have a fuse out??? Any thoughts on that one? We'll just leave the fob issue alone until I receive the new ones.

Oh yeah, to answer your question. I have only one fob and one key.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the trip counter also goes to zero. both A and B.

It would seem to me that this particular Explorer has a few gremlins. I can think of no reason why you would lose you MPG and your rip when you shut off the vehicle, unless it were losing power. As far as the door lock and unlock issue, I think the issue is either in the ignition switch or the Smart Junction Box. Do your interior lights stay on after you start the vehicle? Have you checked all the fuses under the hood and the interior ones as well?

Did not check the fuses yet, it was too dark and late to get that far last night. I will look at it this afternoon when my wife gets home from work. It sounds like the always on power is getting disconnected when the key is turned off. Maybe there is a fuse out, for that always on power wire. Do you know of a diagram for the fuses, so I can narrow it down?

Thanks! Just got home from a 200 mile ride to the nearest city and back. Boy did it ever drive nice. Really surprised me how fast it is. At one point I was stuck behind a semi truck, and the first chance i got, I passed it. Surprised me how much, get up and go it really has. Went from 45 to 90 in about 3 seconds. Shocked me and my wife. :)

Thanks! Just got home from a 200 mile ride to the nearest city and back. Boy did it ever drive nice. Really surprised me how fast it is. At one point I was stuck behind a semi truck, and the first chance i got, I passed it. Surprised me how much, get up and go it really has. Went from 45 to 90 in about 3 seconds. Shocked me and my wife. :)

We go to South Carolina every summer and as a highway cruiser it is excellent. The only vehicle I have had that was better in ride was my 1996 Crown Victoria. It even handles the West Virgina Mountains pretty well too. But on open flat highway I just cruise. Did you get a chance to look into that power issue?

I will have more time to get to it today. Now that I sort of know the fuse assignments, I will be better able to check without having to check all of them. Thanks for that.

It did great on the flats but there aren't many in my area. I live on the 101 hwy, and when we go inland to the 5 corridor where the cities are, we have to go over the coastal range to get there. Lots of curves and hills. A motorcycle rider's dream. It is in those hills that I will be off roading and hunting again this year. I got my wife a 4x4 so she can get to me if I get something down, and need help recovering the animal. Elk are not easy to get in a truck. Or up a cliff if needed. Very common occurrence. I should get my Jeep back today. They just put a new engine in it. I bought it in Dec, but the engine blew in Jan. The dealer put in a new engine and I get to pick it up today.

Where can I get a new key fob? Or is there another way to test the fob?

I got 4 of them from "Sold by YourKeylessRemote" on Amazon for about $2.50 each. They arrived today and programmed right up. Look exactly like the original except for the myriad of FCC and patent info all over the back of the original one.

So, if you turn off the engine and get out and press the door lock button on the door, not the fob, with the door open, what happens? Does it lock and then automatically unlock again? Or does it stay locked?

Mine stays locked.

My stay locked as well. The only time mine unlocks after pushing the lock button is when the truck is running and you try to lock the door with it open.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back