• Register Today It's free!

Key fob issue

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
As usual when you buy a used vehicle there is always something missing. Either the floor mats, spare tire/jack, owner's manual, spare keys and or key fobs.

In my case the front floor mats were missing and I only got one key and one key fob with the paint worn off the buttons. By the way, I found some Kraco universal floor mats from Wal-Mart that fits very well. $25 and they match the tan carpet.

For some reason the original key fob would unlock the doors but would not lock them. So I assumed the key fob was worn out.

So I found two new key fobs and two uncut keys off Ebay for $30. So I programmed the fobs. Now the fob will lock/unlock the doors but it seems they work intermittantly and I have to be real close to the vehicle before they will work. And the tailgate button does nothing. Also when they do function I have to be standing next to the driver's door.

Sometimes I have to hit the buttons several times before they will lock or unlock the doors. The tailgate button has no effect.

With my '96 Explorer and Mustang I could press the button 20 feet away and it would unlock/lock the doors and I could "wear it out". Meaning I could lock/unlock the doors one right after another.

With this Explorer I can be standing next to the driver's door, press the unlock button then try to press the lock button and it may lock or it may not. I may have to hit the button several times before it will lock.

Forget trying to do anything unless I'm standing next to the driver's door.

The only reason for rapidly locking/unlocking the doors is for testing purposes because the system is not working properly.

Does this sound like weak batteries in the fobs or something wrong with the reciever that unlocks/locks the doors on the truck?

I have been meaning to pop the fob apart and actually the test the voltage on the battery to see if it's weak or not. Just haven't had a chance yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say try new batteries in the fobs before you do anything else. My OEM units work from 15' away just fine and I have not changed the batteries yet.

I would replace the batteries I can lock and unlock my Explorer from well over 50 feet and sometimes closer to 100. The only issue I have with one of my key Fob is that it requires me to lock the doors before it will unlock them, then it works fine. but the other will lock and unlock with no delay!

The only issue I have with one of my key Fob is that it requires me to lock the doors before it will unlock them, then it works fine.

That's weird! That sounds like what might be happening with mine. Because I've noticed I have no issues actually locking the doors but unlocking them. There is still the issue of distance which maybe caused by weak batteries. I'll change them.

The "Power door lock/unlock inhibit feature" caused me problems similar to yours (nothing to do with range), but I can't remember the specific symptoms. This was the cure:

unlock_inhibit.gif

That's weird! That sounds like what might be happening with mine. Because I've noticed I have no issues actually locking the doors but unlocking them. There is still the issue of distance which maybe caused by weak batteries. I'll change them.

When I have to use the odd key fob I just have to hit the lock button then the unlock button and all is well, I actually have found that with that key fob I am less likely to unlock my truck because of the keys in my pocket! With my Good remote I have multiple times found I have inadvertently open the rear hatch glass! get a new battery and go from there!

The "Power door lock/unlock inhibit feature" caused me problems similar to yours (nothing to do with range), but I can't remember the specific symptoms. This was the cure:

unlock_inhibit.gif

I used the "turn the ignition switch on and off rapidly 8 times" method until the doors locked then pressed the button on the fob to program the fobs. I just found that method on the internet.

I'll try the method you posted and see if have a better result. I'll check the voltage of the batteries in the fobs this weekend.

I do know that the remote on the alarm system for my parents house must be within a foot of the control panel otherwise it won't work. The batteries in that remote are about 16 years old. So if the batteries in the fobs I bought are weak that may have something to do with the range being an issue with my Explorer.

They are *unused* fobs but who knows how old they actually are.

Remote door locks/key fobs still no dice!

Still no success! The key fobs are still not working properly.

The symptoms:

1) Key fobs won't work unless I am standing right next to the vehicle.
2) Sometimes the buttons will lock/unlock the doors immedietly.
3) Sometimes I can press the button and nothing happens.
4) Sometimes I have to hit either button multiple times before it does anything.
5) Sometimes I can hit the button and there is a delay action where the doors will unlock/lock one second after I hit the button.
6) Tailgate button will not open on either fob
7) Unlock/lock buttons inside the vehicle work fine. I have not tried to keyless entry pad on the door yet to see if it works.

So far here is what I've done.

1) Bought new fobs
2) programed them using the ignition switch 8 times off then on method
3) replaced the batteries
4) Used the above procedure to disable the 20 second delay feature. Whatever the purpose of this feature is for. Heard the horn chirping per procedure.

One weird thing was with the original fob, it seemed the lock button worked fine but the unlock button never worked. Nor would the tailgate button. Maybe these fobs I got off Ebay are faulty?

I can't think of anything else to do. I'm beginning to think something is wrong with the transponder on the vehicle. Where is it located? My stepson who has possesion of my old 96 Explorer works at a junkyard and could probably get me one. Would any transponder from a Ford from that era (~2006) work or does it have to be from an Explorer?

Maybe see if he can find me a factory key fob just to rule out the new ones I purchased. I'm not sure if the ones I found on Ebay are the real deal or some cheap Chineese knockoffs.

I do not think its your key transponder! do you know anyone with a Explorer close to your year with a working Key fob that they would let you borrow? Of course they would never be able to program it back unless they had two more! did you program that Fob to another explorer to see if it works? Let me know I can test it for you just send it to me!

Back