Door Lock Problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Lock Problem

Post number 12 has been selected as best answered.

Fantastic thread, finally one that I can follow! Thanks, guess I will be trying to track this down this weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found the problem on the drivers unlock, There was a wire broken in the wiring boot between the door and the truck

I found the problem on the drivers unlock, There was a wire broken in the wiring boot between the door and the truck

gswan, Out of curiosity, were both of your front lock switches not working or only Drivers Side?

all but the unlock switch on the drivers door worked
Key pad L&U
passenger door L&U
Back switch L&U
keyless L&U
drivers door L

but I did the rewire for the unlock by the back door

Thanks, I don't have Key Pad and don't know if the truck has keyless, however both my front door switches are not locking, Back hatch switch works fine. Started searching for a wire problem, I think it will be past the doors since it affects both passenger and drivers door.

Alright, I located the wires in question and they fell apart as stated, spliced in some new wire, soldered and no more going to the back of the truck to lock the doors...The switches, all three all work as designed!!!! Thank you!

You guys rock! Pulled up the rear drivers side plastic molding to reveal the wiring harness, found the pink/yellow splice, sure enough corroded out, cut, respliced w/environmental+heatshrink butt connector, done! Hours to find the right post, 15 minutes to fix it!

I've been having the same problem in my '01 Mountaineer, with the unlock working from every switch, but only the rear switch locking everything. My problem is that my back doors won't open so I can't get at that part of the harness. Any ideas on getting stuck doors open, short of a pry bar? I have been inside both doors and I can't get them to release. The lock actuators work and I have tried to get the latches to release, but to no avail. They seem like they are frozen. Squirted PB Blaster on what I could, but they have been stuck for over a year and I just said forget it!

I may have a similar problem. 1996 Explorer XLT 5.0L.
Power lock switches work but neither the keypad nor the fobs work.

I've just found a tiny howling sound in the panel above the left rear tire. I'm guessing a relay is leaking power and causing a harmonic vibration of some sort. If I hold down the unlock button on any door, the howling sound stops, then returns when let go.

I've been having the same problem in my '01 Mountaineer, with the unlock working from every switch, but only the rear switch locking everything. My problem is that my back doors won't open so I can't get at that part of the harness. Any ideas on getting stuck doors open, short of a pry bar? I have been inside both doors and I can't get them to release. The lock actuators work and I have tried to get the latches to release, but to no avail. They seem like they are frozen. Squirted PB Blaster on what I could, but they have been stuck for over a year and I just said forget it!

Try this:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267116

I will be trying some of the solutions posted here this weekend.

1998 4 door Explorer
My problem is the FOB and unlock buttons all work. But neither the FOB or the drivers or passenger door buttons will lock the doors. The strange thing is that the rear hatch button works for both functions.

Any ideas?

thanks

thanks to all who posted help me out a lot dealer said 300 to fix when it took only 5 min thanks agian

i am having the same problem i can use the rear hatch lock button but none of the others!

I was having the same issue with the front driver and pass switches only unlocking and not locking. Ended up being the same splice as numerous other Explorer owners have isolated to being the issue.

Now only problem is the back drivers side passenger door (same door the wire spice is located) only unlocks/locks if i manually pull up or push down on the lock post. Im assuming it might be the actuator? any other ideas what it could be to isolate issue?

I had the same problem as gswan, no UNLOCK at drivers switch. I too found a broken (PINK/LT.GREEN) in the rubber boot at the drivers hinge. Soldered in a splice piece and all is fine.
My thanks to all who post.
P

My problem seems opposite of everyones. I disconnected the battery 3 months after I got my '01 sport and ever since then (3.5 years) when I turn the key on the driver side door lock cycles a minimum of 5 times. Everytime. Now the drivers side door will not unlock but all the switches work. Maybe something is hanging up inside the door not letting it unlock?

Did you scan the sticky page, there is a long thread re: keypad, locks etc. It may be worth a look.

I may have a similar problem. 1996 Explorer XLT 5.0L.
Power lock switches work but neither the keypad nor the fobs work.

I've just found a tiny howling sound in the panel above the left rear tire. I'm guessing a relay is leaking power and causing a harmonic vibration of some sort. If I hold down the unlock button on any door, the howling sound stops, then returns when let go.

The locka and unlock relays are inside that panel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you scan the sticky page, there is a long thread re: keypad, locks etc. It may be worth a look.

Yes I checked it out but nothing pertaining to my problem.

Back