• Register Today It's free!

Door Lock

skidoomxz99

Reaction score
City, State
Leominster, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer
My wife's 02 Explorer is having an issue with the driver side door lock switch. When the vehicle is NOT running, my door lock switch on driver side door will not work. However, the door lock switch does work when the vehicle is running. The passenger side door lock switch works fine.

Does anyone know why the door lock switch will not work if the car is not running? Also, the problem started yesterday and now when you turn the car "off" there is a beep (my wife said this noise is new).

Also, I live in MA so the weather has been cold and snowy if that makes a difference

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4dr?

Hello... I take it you have a 4door vehicle, correct? How are the other locks working?

This problem may be due to your security system, however please advise if the other locks are functioning properly. Thanks!

Yes, it has 4 doors (EB). All the other door locks work (including keyless entry). My passenger side front door lock switch works both when the car is running and off. What would cause the door lock switch to only work when the vehicle is running?

It does have a dealer installed remote car starter (alarm is currently disabled since the LED on dash no longer flashes when locking vehicle by keyfob). The alarm stopped working about 6 months ago.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. It's definetely something with the anti-theft since now when you use the keypad on the drivers door to unlock the vehicle the alarm will go off. I noticed that the keypad also works intermittently. I am going to try to test some fuses and stuff tomorrow to see if I can determine the cause.

My issue is that the door switch on driver side works fine as long as the car is running. Once the car is turned off, I have issues with keypad and door switch (and now it seems like keyfob has intermittent problems). I will replace battery's in keyfob as well.

Any advice or help is appreciated!

Happy Holiday's.

An update on my electrical issues:

- When turning on the heated mirrors / rear defroster, the computer reads "door ajar" and the interior lights turn on.
- The driver side heated seat no longer works.
- The puddle and interior lights now stay on when I lock the car. The lights usually stay on for the autolamp, but now I have to turn the interior light dial off so that my puddle and interior lights turn off.
- The radio normally stays on when turning off the car until you open a door. The radio now turns off as soon as the vehicle is turned off.
- When turning off the car it now makes a chime noise (this is new).
- When turning on the climate control (heat) it will automatically default to the AC even though the heat was on last (atleast for the floor and vent mode).
- The alarm no longer works; however, remote car starter still works.
- The driver side front door lock switch doesn't work unless the car is running.

I tested the fuses today with my circuit tester. I think some of these issues are related to the alarm (remote starter) since this stopped working around 6 months ago. Anyone on here have experience with experience with electrical problems such as this? Could this be related to GEM? Alarm?

I appreciate the help!

Nobody on here has electrical experience with Explorers? Thx.

check for broken wires in the door jamb boot- i had mostly the same issues as you and found a broken black ground wire. make sure you pull both sides of the boot becuse those wires are tight in there. hope this helps you out
matt

Most of those problems you mentioned all tie together with the radio. from what i remember is the stereo has the doorlocks wiring and such going through it and i believe the ac system too and i am unsure of the theft system but id start trouble shooting around your indash radio...seems like the ignition wiring or some fuse delay is messed up i dunno for sure but i kno most of that stuff is all wired through your radio...hope this helps some

Thanks for the replies. I will check the door jamb boot for any loose wires or grounds. Recently the power mirrors and door lock switch will work for a while and then stop. TreoEng - I did notice the other night when turning off the car that the heater (climate control) stayed on for a second or two after turning off the vehicle. So, I wonder if you are onto something in regards to all of these problems being related to the radio.

Thank you for the help! The worst part is that my ESP warranty expired on 11/31/07!

I second checking the wires inside the door jamb boot. It seems pretty common for a ground or other wire to get pinched in there. Also, I see alarm and remote starter mentioned. If they were installed aftermarket, I would check where all the connections were made for the alarm and/or remote start modules. A connection they made may have come loose or something. Good luck, at least it's warming up a bit.

Back