• Register Today It's free!

Door locks constantly cycling

ohiodisneydad

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT
I have a 2006 XLT Explorer. The door locks are constantly cycling/unlocking and by constantly I mean every 15 to 20 seconds. Regardless if I lock the vehicle with the key fob or from the vehicle automatic lock button they will unlock. I have to start my vehicle numerous times during the day to keep the battery from dying and it's causing my door lock actuators to burn out. I've already replaced two of them.

I have no dash codes showing so I don't even know where to start. A mechanic friend of mine said it could be a module and it may require a visit to a Ford dealer.

Anyone experience anything similar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might have to bring it to the dealer. Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery?

So what I did, instead of spending 800 bucks on SJB, I built a relay box, and run the door lock line thru it. The way it works, is that the locks will be powered only if the engine is running (the locks did not go nuts when car is running), or if I have the interior lights on. I used 5 prone relay, and power the locks either from the accessory line (car running), or from the overhead light. Since the overhead lights remain on for few seconds after you get out, I can still lock it. If they go out quicker, I just open the door, or "unlock" the car via remote which in turn turns on the interior lights. It's hard to explain it, but it works. It's not perfect, since you can lock the car, hear the chirp, but the car is still open.

Great. Not what I wanted to hear. I wonder if I can order the part through Silver State Ford Parts, have the dealer code it and install it myself?

That's a good question for the dealer, but don't be surprised by a negative response. Here is what the service manual says:

NOTE: The steps included in the SJB removal and installation procedure are critical to restoring the vehicle security and tire pressure monitoring systems to normal operation. A new SJB is delivered in manufacturing mode with 6 pre-set diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) related to the tire pressure monitoring system. The presence of these DTCs requires the installation procedures be followed in order to clear the DTCs and enable normal SJB operations.

NOTE: Prior to the removal of the SJB, it is necessary to upload the module configuration information to the diagnostic tool. This information must be downloaded to the new SJB after installation. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01 .

Section 418-01 relates the procedure when the SJB is available and when it is not available. This does not help you since the new SJB must be installed in the vehicle so as to get configured with the other related modules. When the SJB is not available the VIN is used to access the Ford library and bring down the appropriate programming with options.

Good luck.

Back