Door pillar paint tarnished. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door pillar paint tarnished.

gideon123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Ltd
My 2013 explorer door pillar paint has been tarnished or dull. Not sure how to explain it. I bought the oem window door visors and they came with the alcohol and adhesive swabs. I first applied the alcohol swabs followed by the adhesive swabs along where the 3M tape would stick. And I think either the alcohol and adhesive swabs removed some of the pillar paint. Arghhh.. Any fix for this to restore the color? The paint looks a bit dull, as best I can describe it.

All info appreciated. Thanks

A picture would be very helpful in this case. It sounds like you may have removed the clear coat. Do you have both a 2013 and a 2014 Explorer?

:ttiwwp:

I've been waiting to use this. ;)

Peter

My 2013 explorer door pillar paint has been tarnished or dull. Not sure how to explain it. I bought the oem window door visors and they came with the alcohol and adhesive swabs. I first applied the alcohol swabs followed by the adhesive swabs along where the 3M tape would stick. And I think either the alcohol and adhesive swabs removed some of the pillar paint. Arghhh.. Any fix for this to restore the color? The paint looks a bit dull, as best I can describe it.

All info appreciated. Thanks

Same thing happened on mine..thankfully you could only see it on the driver side and they replaced basically the whole driver side after my accident. Unfortunately I never figured out how to get rid of it.

A picture would be very helpful in this case. It sounds like you may have removed the clear coat. Do you have both a 2013 and a 2014 Explorer?

I have a 2014 but doesn't matter if it's an 11,12,13 or even 14 as it doesn't change the nature of my problem. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't all 11,12,13 and 14 models have black pillars?

Yes, seems I removed the clear coat. It would have been nice had ford mentioned this in the instructions that came with the oem visors.

:ttiwwp:

I've been waiting to use this. ;)

Peter

Back