Door speaker recomendations | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door speaker recomendations

yea, would't want to make you feel bad, but having tweets do far away from midranges is a little odd... Who am I to say that? I had MTX component set in 93 Caravan, and I did the same thing, put the tweeters in a pillar just above the door... First, the only thing you can hear with your left ear is HIGH tone, definetely not a good thing for hearing, and second (main reason) - you should never separate the tweets and midranges. The reason they are manufactured this way is to give midrange as much cone coverage as possible for best responce, yet they should be mounted within couple inches from each other.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't care for Oval as primary (up front drivers) in any car. i'll go with 6.5-7" rounds = they sound better and you just need to use a plastic plate for them to fit.

ONE TIP when using a plastic play adapter put damping material on it. Asphalt based is fine.

Recommended Coaxials:

X178 kewnood x
Diamond Audio 361i
SS162 Panasonic

Since our spealers are exposed to the moistier and temps its best for a fiber weave, aluminum, or kevlar based vs. Plastic (most aftermarket speakers are). This is if you're REALLY picky. Temp changes will alter the sound quality.

Has anyone had any experiance with Clarion. More specfic they are the Clarion SRC5753. 5" MID and a .75" tweeter mounted in a plate. Any ideas?

Originally posted by andruxa
yea, would't want to make you feel bad, but having tweets do far away from midranges is a little odd... Who am I to say that? I had MTX component set in 93 Caravan, and I did the same thing, put the tweeters in a pillar just above the door... First, the only thing you can hear with your left ear is HIGH tone, definetely not a good thing for hearing, and second (main reason) - you should never separate the tweets and midranges. The reason they are manufactured this way is to give midrange as much cone coverage as possible for best responce, yet they should be mounted within couple inches from each other.

I was thinking the same thing... if you have to mount the tweets on the dash, you should wire them out of phase with the mid ranges. Mine are on the padded door bolster above the window switches.

Originally posted by HokieBert
I was thinking the same thing... if you have to mount the tweets on the dash, you should wire them out of phase with the mid ranges. Mine are on the padded door bolster above the window switches.

Please explain that wiring.

Thanks....

I just upgraded my stock speakers to some Polk gxr57. They were on sale at Crutchfield. I must say they sound great compared to my stock speakers. I just replaced my front door speakers for now. I just use them for highs and such I guess. I have 2 12" subs in back so don't need any bass from them.

Anyways, I plan on hooking up a small amp to them next week but I am already very impressed with them and the installation was simple!

Hey XLT Xtreme:
I actually am taking out those exact speakers right now to throw in some Focals! I'm on co-op right now (making money in the middle of college) so I have some money to burn. The Clarions sound great, but I just thought since I have extra money, might as well waste it on car audio! So if you wanna buy them, make an offer!

Al:

I'm pretty sure what Hokiebert is saying is switch the polarity for the tweeter (ie. + to normally - and - to normally +, you probably already know this, sorry). Otherwise the tweeter and midrange are out of phase because of the crossover (I believe?) Either that or inherently I believe tweeters act like a 12dB/octave crossover. I read that somewhere but don't understand the physics behind it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But I know the wiring is just reverse polarity.

Originally posted by brendan
Hey XLT Xtreme:
I actually am taking out those exact speakers right now to throw in some Focals! I'm on co-op right now (making money in the middle of college) so I have some money to burn. The Clarions sound great, but I just thought since I have extra money, might as well waste it on car audio! So if you wanna buy them, make an offer!

Hey I am sure interested. What year are the speakers, don't they have a newer model out also. Just curious. How long have you had them in and are they still in good shape? Can you get any pics?

Got pics,

332748_10_full.jpg

332748_11_full.jpg

There is a newer version but I just checked out ebay and saw a set of these on there for $75 I think. They are in great shape, I've had them installed the since I bought them about 2yrs ago I'd say. Never beat the hell out of them and they still sound and look great.

Have any of you heard a set of memphis speakers. I was looking at a set of them but noone around here has the size i want where i can hear them. I was looking at their M-class 15-mc57 or the 15-mc60. the only difference is one is a round 6.5 with the tweeter mounted in the center with a pivot deal and the other is a 5x7 with the same tweeter. says the cone is glass fiber and kevlar and the tweeters are aluminum domes. Sensitivity is 93 on both of them. the rms on them is 50 though and my amp is 45 per channel i believe. do yall think thease have some ok specs and they will work good with my amp? i have an alpine cda-7995 and it does not have an amp.

I believe Memphis is like the California stuff, just another name for Legacy, so don't get it. I've had some Infinity Kappas and liked those, but I sold them and bought some JBL speakers. Price was good and they sound great! I like those new Alpines though, very high price, like all their stuff, but I bet they sound awesome.

nooo memphis is a very reputable company!!

http://www.memcaraudio.com/

these are nice as are the 6.5 plates...
St57n_25_small.jpg

I like most of their stuff, just am not using it......

I have been playing around with alot of differnt componets for my 91 X. I started out with a new HU. a pioneer deh 7400 I think it was. When I got the truck it had a aftermarket tape deck and the radio sounded horrible. Once I had the factory amp by passed, which cost me alot, it sounded good. The a couple of years later I really went all out. I got a set of 12" Kicker CompVr in a sealed box. Those subs pound hard!! Got them runing off a pioneer 760 watt 2 channel amp. Looking to upgrade that to a rockford fosgate 801 which pushes 2400 watts. I just had a new set of of pioneer 4 way 240 watt 6x8s put in since i blew my 3 ways, also pioneer. I got them powerd by a rockford 200 4 channel amp. And to top it all off I also just put in a monster cap with digital read out. I am really happy with the new 6x8. The highs are good and get nice mids from them as well. Dont know about the bass since its all coming from my subs, but the quilty of the sound is outstanding. When you find what you are looking for, my suggestion to you is to use quality wires! They make the difference.

I recently installed some 5X7 polk audio speakers in my front door and put a pioneer amp to power them. I just had 2 12" mtx subs in the past and had my factory speakers in my doors.

All I have to say is WOW, what a difference. I can't believe I didn't do this a long time ago. It is really loud and sounds great! Just upgrading to the other speakers was a great difference and when I put the amp to them it made a huge difference. I am only putting 35 watts rms to each in the front doors. It is great!

Just wanted to share, just in case anybody is pondering whether to upgrade or not. It is well worth it.

The crossovers are pretty big -
Crossover Dimensions: W=4.763", H=1.266", D=3.015"

I mounted them under the HU, via the underside of the console.

Back