• Register Today It's free!

Door speaker recomendations

SilverX

Reaction score
City, State
Southgate, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
I just got an 01 x sport and want to upgrade the speakers. What size are the speakers and what speakers are good for the X. I prefer pioneer but im open to suggestions :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The factory speakers are 6 x 8.

Speaker sound is a personal thing, go listen to a bunch at a car stereo store.

I personally prefer component speakers.

Good luck.....

I have installed 6x8 Rockfords in mine last spring, and for the price they are the best buy I did, was the last of the 2001 year (bought em in 2002) - got 50% off on them. They are 2 way, not a component system, so install was very easy, basically replace the factory paper cones. I would be careful with only replacing the speakers and running them with stock radio/amp, since the sound is bad and I think it would be hard on the speakers... Finding proper wiring harness to bypass the factory amp is another challenge...

id go with infinity 5752cf. they sound very good, even with a stock hu. i put in a new hu and they sound even better, and ive got 2 12's in the mail im about to put in. you can get them pretty cheap here.

link

i'd go with alpine all around!! :afro:

I have some last generation Infinity 5x7/6x8s in all four corners. They served me well, and i intentionally build my system for pure loudness at highway speed. I also only had a pioneer deh7200 running them, but even still after four years I have no midrange, which the infinitys were lacking to begin with. I had a pair of twelves in the back as well, and the infinitys had more than enough tweeter to keep up. That is where they excel. However, they are pretty much toast now, and they werent even amped. We just put the new generation kappa components in (6.5 inch drivers) into my friends montero sport, with nothing but his pioneer mp740 running it and it sounded incredible.

Moral: like displacement, there is no replacement for components. You probably wont gain anything by putting those in the rear doors, just go with a good 2 way. But sooner or later you will want midrange, and components are the only way to go for clean, efficient power use all the way around. And yes, go listen to a ton of speakers, with a CD you already like to listen to in your own car. Then you will see the differences.

Check out www.onlinecarstereo.com for deals, they usually have good deals esp. end/first of a year, and my friends and I have been repeat customers and never had any problems.

Hope some of this helps.

Yeah, definately bring in your favorite CD's and then listen to them. this way, you'll know whats important to you and your music (great highs, good bass, good vocals, etc.) before deciding on my Alpine Type Rs (over the Infinity Kappas) I spent a long time at the sound booths at Crutchfield and just switched back and forth between speakers on all types of music.

Here's my recomendations...

If your ballin' on a budget... Infinity Refernece (757s i think). Good SPL rating (efficiency) will sound good off a factory deck or an aftermarket HU. Alpine Type R and Infinity Kappa are amazing but expensive. The new Pioneers are gettin better, but I'm still usually not impressed with Pioneer speakers.

Don't go with the Alpine Type S... they sound like poop.
Too bad Polk quit making the dx series and that their new EX's suck.

Some people like Polk GXR, they're cheaper and well... you get what you pay for.

Just an ex-installer's 0.02

Originally posted by andruxa
I have installed 6x8 Rockfords in mine last spring, and for the price they are the best buy I did, was the last of the 2001 year (bought em in 2002) - got 50% off on them. They are 2 way, not a component system, so install was very easy, basically replace the factory paper cones. I would be careful with only replacing the speakers and running them with stock radio/amp, since the sound is bad and I think it would be hard on the speakers... Finding proper wiring harness to bypass the factory amp is another challenge...
I already have a HU pioneer ,deh-p7200, installed and it made the stock speakers sound better but I cant stand for stock speakers lol. Even with an aftermarket HU, do you still have to bypass the factory amp?

Originally posted by SilverX
I already have a HU pioneer ,deh-p7200, installed and it made the stock speakers sound better but I cant stand for stock speakers lol. Even with an aftermarket HU, do you still have to bypass the factory amp?

Your HU has the amp built in; you do not have a separate stock amp.

Originally posted by aldive
Your HU has the amp built in; you do not have a separate stock amp.

Unless he has the factory in dash 6 disc changer... I believe these have an amp. (There simply ain't room for a cd changer and an amp in the dash)

I have Pioneer DEH-p7200 in mine, that head unit went with me through Caravan, Integra, now is in Explorer. This is an excellent, amazing deck, I have access to demo decks, so I tried out kenwood excellon, jvc 980 (Mp3) recently, aiwa (mp3) - none could even come close to Pioneer...

But running the aftermarket HU with stock speakers without bupassig the amp is CRAPPY... Since you're supplying already amplified signal to factory amp, right after 50% volume you start hearing bad ass distortion...

Again, I might be wrong :)

Well guys since we are on the subject, I to have been looking for speakers for some time now sine I have installed my Alpine CDA-7893 HU. Looking to spend no more then $100 per pr. Looking for a easy install with a good speaker with some good low bass and nice mid or high. Not planing on doing subs so I am looking to get the most bass out of the door speakers. Oh and yes I like to play it loud! Help me out with a few suggestions.

As I said before...

Originally posted by HokieBert
Here's my recomendations...

If your ballin' on a budget... Infinity Refernece (757i i think). Good SPL rating (efficiency) will sound good off a factory deck or an aftermarket HU.

I put these on the rear deck of my old Acura b/c they offered the best bass response of any 6.5" speaker that I listened to. They are $100/pair or less if you can find them on sale. The 3 way Pioneer 6x8's aren't too bad (the one with the pearl foamed IMPP cones).

check out... www.crutchfield.com They have more speakers than you would want and they give you free wiring harnesses (you'll need 4 speaker plugs) with your order.

Anyone know anything about kenwood components and 6x8's. I am hooking up a complete system and I really am a kenwood fan. Right now I have a excelon kdc-x869 HU and a KAC-819 mono amp pushing a kenwood DVC 12". Now i'm looking at door speakers and kenwood has a 6x8 component set. Any experience with these?

I agree with HokieBert on the Pioneer 6x8 3 ways....I have those all around with an aftermarket head unit and aftermarket amp....they were not difficult to install and they sound good to me. I don't use them for bass though....most of my bass comes from a sub box in the back running off its own amp.

-James

I have a pair of Pioneer 6 x 8s for sale, I replaced them with components.

Make offer.....

Originally posted by aldive
I have a pair of Pioneer 6 x 8s for sale, I replaced them with components.
What components did you go with and where did you locate everything?
(Just curious)

Attachments

• mtx.jpg
    mtx.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 486

Yeh, those are nice speakers.
Tweeters in the A-pillars, huh? I would've never thought of that. I would've figured top of doors or in the dash.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry about the poor pic quality, but here they are....

Attachments

• tweeter.jpg
    tweeter.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 503

Back