• Register Today It's free!

door speakers

iroczddp

Reaction score
City, State
dallas, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eddie bauer 4X4
ok i have a 91 EB edition explorer, i had a 7400 series Primeer aka pioneer head unit, kenwood 200w amp, planetaudio 200w amp and 4 12's, truck was broken into and they took the radio and the kenwood amp and thats all... so i took everything out, and bought a pioneer deh-6400 radio, a MTX 5400X amp(5 channel), and a 12 inch MTX sub rated at 500 watts peak, i still have the stock door speakers and they are running of the factory amp, should i run the door speakers off the MTX and keep them factory for now or save the money up and buy some new component series speakers for the doors? please post and tell me what u think

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suggest you bypass the factory amp and run 4 new door speakers directly off the new HU.

I agree with Alec. I bought a set of the Kenwood Excelon components and am running them off of a Pioneer deh6300 HU, and have been happy with them.

I hate to disagree with Alec, he's an awesome guy and knows a lot about everything, but run the stock speakers on the MTX 5-ch. amp for 3 reasons.....

1. Less wiring modifications later, you'll be happy when you want to use this amp, that you have no more wires to run.

2. Better sound quality. It won't be much because you're still running stock speakers, but it will be better.

3. Less HU heating. We all know heat kills electronics, and HUs have no fans, or airflow, so they get pretty hot. If you're using an external amp, this will cut way back on heating.

Well my HU runs my 4 corners fine without an amp. Doesn't get too hot, and I rarely go above 1/2 volume. My old aftermarket HU.....that's a different story; it definately would have benefitted from an external amp.

I went from a Pioneer HU to a 4 channel amp, and it mad e a world of difference at high volumes. If this guy doesn't play it loud, I guess there's no need for the amp, but if he already has it, why not install it? It'll only help.

Back