• Register Today It's free!

Door Speakers

hatteraspimp

Reaction score
City, State
Hatteras, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I am not that knowledgable about door speakers and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what i should get to replace my stock( they are completely blown). The speakers need to be loud enough to sound good with 1 infinity kappa perfect 10.1 with a 300 watt amp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get pioneer 6x8s with a bass blocker.... they are great in the highs but not too good in the bass, but if you have the sub, you wont need them to be.....

Go to a local car audio store and YOU listen to various speakers, then get the ones that YOU think sound best. After all, it is YOU that will listen to them.

Originally posted by aldive
Go to a local car audio store and YOU listen to various speakers, then get the ones that YOU think sound best. After all, it is YOU that will listen to them.

ha, actually that is a good idea, aldive......

Originally posted by aldive

Actually, I don't think you can tell a heck of a lot by listening to the speakers in the store. By the time you get them mounted in your truck, and use whatever HU you have to power them, they will probably sound radically different than they did in the store. Car speakers really are slaves to the size and directional placement of the enclosure (in this case your doors).

The best option is to listen to speakers mounted in a similar vehicle. A great example of this is to take some Pioneer 6x9s and mount them in the back deck of a sedan -- you will get some wild bass out of them. Put those same speakers in the doors of a Chevy truck and you'll wonder why you wasted your money.

My suggestion is to go with the Pioneer 6x8s -- they sound good and won't break you.

Blue

jimabena74, what is a bass blocker? i'm about to change out the speakers as well. thanks!

Bass blockers act as high-pass crossovers to protect your speakers from bass distortion. They connect to your speakers' positive leads.

ahh a crossover. i was thinking along the lines of a baffle :confused:

You can get pretty much anything you want and it will sound better than stock. I have a pair of Pioneer componets that I paid $100 for and a pair of used Kenwood Excelon 6x9's that I paid $100 for and they are plenty loud enough to keep up with my pair of Resonant Engineering 12" SE's that have 1000 watts a side.

in my opinion, get a component set, it'll sound way better than any 6x8's you can get, go to your local car audio shop and listen to some 6x8's, and then listen to some component sets, it sounds way better. 6x8's suck for midbass, i know cause my system is all bass and highs, there's no midbass and i hate it. It'll be worth it to invest in a component set but that's just my opinion from what i've experienced. Check out my system at http://members.shaw.ca/Enzlo_in_the_Benzlo

I concur with Aldive: go to Suckit City or Breast Buy and take a listen, even if you don't buy them there.

No offense to all those who posted above... But frankly, when I installed Pioneers and Kenwood speakers in a car, I felt sorry for the owner. As I've said before, and as I'll always say... If you've got the funds Infinity Kappa, Alpine Type R, or Polk Momo... IMO those are the best speakers money can buy (within reason, I would love to have the 3 way RF X components or Alpine Type R components). Some people like Quarts, but I've never heard em. Oh, and Boston acoustics, but they are expensive too...

If your ballin' on a budget... I recommend Infinity Reference. I've put these in my friends cars, my old car, my parent's cars... etc.

But if I had to choose, i would take Pioneer over Kenwood. Get the foamed IMPP cones and the 3 ways and they should sound aight...

you gets what you pay for.........
along w/ the others go to the store and take a gander, and a listen, pick speakers with a rather high sensitivity rating so that they will work well with low power. I would suggest a set of components, 5 1/4's fit in the factory locations with a simple adapter, usually around $8-$13. I used to have 4-rockford punch 5x7's, they went pretty loud, but were crap. So I went to the audiobahn components in my front doors only, and they sound better than the 4-5x7's, just my .2cents :)

buy the 6x8 pioneers. they are great and they make custom one for explorers and they fit right in. they are bout 80 bucks and i have them and they are great

Human nature dictates that one feels that whatever speaker he/she has is the best; and it indeed may be best for them. But don't forget its YOU that needs to be satisified with YOUR speakers.

i just put a 6.5" component set in today and it sounds awesome and the speakers fit perfect in the stock location, i just had to drill a few new holes but i didn't have to cut anything. They sound way better than the pioneer 3ways i had before.

component set's are the way to go!

i have the KenWood 6x8 that are made for ford and they were better than my other speakers i had in the doors................ they were 13$ ones from autozone lol
and i think the kenwoods are really good

the KenWood's are about 80$ a pair

peace

yeah, kenwoods aren't bad, i still have kenwoods in my rear doors but i'm going to replace them with 6.5's. Has anyone heard of anybody putting 8's in the rear doors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had boston acoustics in my front doors. i put them in the back and put pioneers 4-way speakers in the front from crutchfield ($105 with shipping) they sound alot better than the bostons.

Back