Door Striker Plastic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Striker Plastic

LStoudenmire

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
There is a round plastic piece that fits on the "Peg" portion of the door striker that have now disentegrated from my doors and hatch.

Is it possible to replace this plastic part only or does the entire door striker have to be replaced? Are the door strikers interchangeable from a later model, so I could get from a donor vehicle?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The door strikers are pretty cheap last I checked. I had my dad order some from work (They get discounts on all their parts) and they were about 10 each if I remember correctly. It wasn't really hard to replace either. I pulled off rear speaker grille and pull out the speaker and some other things in there and was able to reach it and hold it in place(so it wouldn't fall down to the floor) while someone else tightened it.

I've never seen them for sale. I had to replace the the whole striker on the hatch.

Yea you have to get the whole striker. I got mine at autozone and checker.

All years will work. The nut clips behind shouldn't fall, they are held in place by metal tabs.

Check your hinges where the striker is worn out. Usually a bad hinge is what causes that excessive wear on the striker. Good luck,

I have seen the plastic pieces at Autozone for a couple of bucks.

If these are available, none of the auto stores in my area have them. I need all 4 door strikers it seems. I'm getting some bad rattles from the doors, almost like they aren't closed. I checked mine this weekend & all the plastic is gone from all 4 of mine.

Same exact problem here. Here is a very cheap solution for the door strikers:

Go buy a 5' length of 3/8" PEX tubing at HD/Lowes....about $2. The 3/8" PEX tubing is too small to just slide on. Get youself a glove, some Vise Grips, and a source of heat (torch, heat gun, gas cooktop flame, candle). Use a knive or deburring tool to create a chamfer on the inside lip of the PEX. Remove some of the shoulder on the striker bolt where the bushing ends and the threads begin. These 2 things will help the PEX slide on easier. Grab the head of the striker bolt with the Vise Grips. Use your gloved hand to hold the PEX and heat the last 1" of the PEX and also heat the striker bolt. With a twisting motion, shove the PEX onto the striker bolt. If it doesn't go on, continue to add heat until it does. The PEX will accept a large amount of heat. However, if you heat too far up the PEX tube, it will lose its rigidty and then folds/twists. Only heat the last 1" or so. Simple math tells me one could make 60 striker bushings for about $2.

Those Help/Doorman bushings are a SCAM! I can't believe they get away with advertising them as "Door Striker Bushings." They only work on the rear tailgate strikers. $4 for 4 pieces of plastic that don't even work for what we are led to believe they will work for. Can you imagine how many of those have been sold......and ALL for nothing! What a rip-off!

Wrapping the striker in black electrical tape will give you a temporary fix....

Someone in a different thread suggested that Napa had the four door pieces for about $4, check into that.

Back