Door unlocks automatically issue ****solved**** | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door unlocks automatically issue ****solved****

Mr. Alligator

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT Explorer
Recently, my vehicle doors all began clicking and automatically unlocking my doors. This would leave my truck unlocked at night, and would sometimes leave my locks cycling in parking lots.

I thought it was a computer issue, a wiring issue, or a GEM issue.

Tried disconnecting the 12 volt battery to “reset” the system. No improvement.

Removed dash bezel to check out GEM and its connections. Got the model number for the GEM, and prepared to go get a salvage GEM (because there are no new units available.)

SOLUTION:

Then it occurred to me that the onset of the issue seemed related to the purchase of a new iPad!!! And confirmed that if the iPad is left on WI-FI mode, the iPads search for a connection triggered the unlocking of my truck. So I will toggle off the WiFi mode at night and whenever the iPad is in my truck.

Drive safe and good luck.

(Anyone else have this issue, or a more brilliant solution?).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting... on different frequency oddities...my WJ Jeep GC oem key fob will NOT function when I'm parked (roughly) within 300' of any cell tower....

Interesting... on different frequency oddities...my WJ Jeep GC oem key fob will NOT function when I'm parked (roughly) within 300' of any cell tower....
Does this keep you out of your Jeep? Or keep you from starting the Jeep?

Very interesting.

I still manually (button) lock due to tools inside (technician) and then when I come back out of store, when someone's near me getting in out of car I give them heads up to brace themselves for alarm once I unlock with key! :) ...then quickly start ignition with chipped key to disable alarm! (How the Jeep setup works)

I've chased EMI/RFI problems before! It happened to Bosch EFI systems. Cars towed in
for no start/ died. Hop in it fires right up, do all the tests, no problem found and we send 'em
on their merry way, only to have it come back the next day!

It was traced down to AM radio stations and electronic controlled traffic signals! Customer noted
every time he was at a particular signal, if it was green he would spudder through. But, if it turned red
and he had to stop, the car died and we towed it! "No problem found"!

Maybe change your routers WiFi channel. Then forget the old network in the wifi setup in the iPad settings.

MORE…. Turning off the WIFI signal search on iPad definitely helped reduce the problem, but still had some Auto Unlock problems. The doors continued to all unlock after the truck was parked (just less frequently).

First and easy attempt to troubleshoot was to remove the key fob from keys. This worked!!! No more automatic unlocking. New key fob on the way.

Take care and drive safe.

MORE…. Turning off the WIFI signal search on iPad definitely helped reduce the problem, but still had some Auto Unlock problems. The doors continued to all unlock after the truck was parked (just less frequently).

First and easy attempt to troubleshoot was to remove the key fob from keys. This worked!!! No more automatic unlocking. New key fob on the way.

Take care and drive safe.

The locks are all controlled by relays located in a box in the rear on the drivers side (above the jack). I had one of the relays fail so that it would trip intermittently. All that switching made it the warmest one so easy to spot.

^^^^ Good idea to check the two power lock relays found in the jack storage compartment.

There are two large relays and both are required for the power locks to function in either direction. One large relay controls “lock” power, and the other large relay controls “unlock” power. You can determine which relay controls which direction by operating the tailgate lock switch while touching the relays with your other hand…. you can feel one relay trigger when you push the “lock”, and you feel the other relay trigger when pushing the “unlock” button.

My power locks had the problem of automatically unlocking, but did not seem to automatically lock. So I flipped the relay positions, and the locks continued to automatically unlock, rather than automatically lock. My conclusion was that the relays were not an issue, but definitely agree that this was a good idea to check.

Thanks for the idea.

Back