Down side to High Output Alternators | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Down side to High Output Alternators

Carl D.

Reaction score
City, State
St Charles MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
Hey, I'm thinking about buying a 200 AMP Alternator and have heard all the Pro's about them, but what are the Con's about them.

I have a stock 4.0 with a Altima Yellow Top Battery, 4 off road lights and a regular stereo system. I will be adding a winch somewhere down the road and a little nicer stereo.

I was told that a 200 Amp Alternator on a 4.0 with average power draw will kill the battery fast and may damage other electrical parts. I've only heard this from one person, but thought I would check with the experts.

I was aslo told by several people that the 4.0 runs better with a 200 amp alternator. True or False.

Thanks, Carl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking of doing the same, so it will be nice to see the response.

The higher the peak output, usually the lower the idle output. With the Yellow Top you should be fine, but if you ever use a winch try to shut off other accessories and/or rev up the engine while you run it. I'd also install a good voltmeter.

I've had a 220 Amp unit from Powermaster in my 97 SOHC 4.0 for 4 years now. I love it. The extra juice is always a great thing. Idle output is a little lower, but if you really wanted to, play with the IAC or the throttle valve and raise the idel to around 750. My Ex idles at 500 and when I goose it to 750, my digital voltmeter reads 14.0 to 14.2

I also have a yellow top and 2 SVR 12-100 batteries in the back. But I also have almost 6000 watts of stereo and 100 watt Headlights beating the snot out of them :D

Go high output, they rock.

So if you wanted to run a ready welder and winch would you guys suggest running dual optimas??

Very good idea.

Originally posted by Alec
Very good idea.

Well a lot of things are a very good idea but are they necessary?

with that alt its also a "very good idea" to replace your alternator wiring and pigtails. :)

I have the crappy 90 amp Autozone special for its lifetime warranty (3rd one in 3 years) so I will be following this thread :)

what is a good alt for HIGH idle output..i need more power at idle then other times?

96,4.0ohv

stock

I'm getting rid of my auto zone special for the 200 amp alt. It should be arriving next week.

so stock is the best for HIGH idle output?..it sure seem's like it struggles with my headlight's/55wfog's and heater on and defroster

you need a better battery, probably a yellow top.

Like I said above, the higher peak output, the lower the idle output. Therefore, stock is best for idle output.

If you also have audio equipment, you should probably get a capacitor.

no im very happy with stock audio

i prolly need a new battery..i currently have the stock battery that came with it new

Back