Downstream O2 sensor bypass??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Downstream O2 sensor bypass???

I read somewhere in the way past about a certain sensor being eliminated and a certain value resistor was solder across the wires to make the ECM think that the sensor was there. I don't know if that could be done on this but the best idea I read that you all came up with was re-installing the bung and sensor especially since he already has a new O2 sensor.
Yea I'm leaning towards a new bung either have 1 welded in or that clamp that 1sicbronconut mentioned but I'm leaning towards the welded on, I've been meaning to buy a cheap little wire feed welder like $150 or so, maybe this is the excuse I needed, should be plenty strong enough, wondering why its missing, did they twist the pipe trying to get old one, or ?? I think it's best to put it back in there so I know that the catalytic conv is working rather getting plugged up/hot etc. TY everybody for all your suggestions/help I'd be stuck w/out it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replaced the engine. And to think he coulda had a V8.

V6 and the v 8 are basically the same horsepower just sayen

Both engines shine in different places

"coulda had a v8?" Like you can just choose, hey this weekend instead of replacing my sohc lets just drop in a 5.0.....this is not a Chevy, it is not just "that easy"...... v8 = drivetrain conversion, not just a engine swap

"coulda had a v8?" Like you can just choose, hey this weekend instead of replacing my sohc lets just drop in a 5.0.....this is not a Chevy, it is not just "that easy"...... v8 = drivetrain conversion, not just a engine swap
I did crawl under the truck and changed all my fluids, waited until new motor in and truck drove good as it was dead when I bought it, so I learned I got a 4405 transfer case, after digging learned that it is an Automatic 4 wheel drive system, but was told by ppl that only v-8 had the awd system, I did go to kelley blue, and edmunds and typed in awd with SOHC 4.0L and both sites listed as options, at any rate the v-8 is above my skills w/out research and I'm perfectly happy with the v-6, install a pre-oiler and done. As for the O2 leaning towards the no weld bung 1sicbronconut mention or buy a welder maybe both, as I would like the cat efficiency to be monitored, plus fires start easy here in NE NV, just want to say Ty to everyones ideas/help, may have to start thread on the 4405 AWD issue on 4.0L SOHC.

I swapped a 302 drivetrain into a 2002 Sport from a 2000 Limited and added a 4406. It is not that easy but it was worth it with the way it drives. 410 knows that it's not easy and quite frankly very challenging. He help me figure out the electronic 4x4 wiring. Now I'm waiting on his review of installing a TrueTravel suspension system in a Ranger. My next challenge.

I thought 4.0 SOHC had a 1354 TC.

To get around this, you can bypass the rear O2 sensor by generating a false sensor reading using a dummy O2 sensor.

Jack up the front of your vehicle using the floor jack. Jack up on the front jack point located behind the radiator.

Place a jack stand under each of the front pinch welds and lower the vehicle onto the stands.

Climb under the vehicle and locate the rear O2 sensor.

Unplug the electrical connector from the O2 sensor.

Remove the O2 sensor using the O2 sensor removal tool and a socket wrench. Turn the O2 sensor counterclockwise with the wrench to remove it from the exhaust.

Thread and tighten the new dummy O2 sensor using the socket wrench and O2 sensor tool.

Then connect the electrical leads. By replacing the real O2 sensor with a dummy O2 sensor, your vehicle's engine control unit will be fooled by the sensor and will not generate any error codes for the vehicle's emissions control system.

To get around this, you can bypass the rear O2 sensor by generating a false sensor reading using a dummy O2 sensor.

Jack up the front of your vehicle using the floor jack. Jack up on the front jack point located behind the radiator.

Place a jack stand under each of the front pinch welds and lower the vehicle onto the stands.

Climb under the vehicle and locate the rear O2 sensor.

Unplug the electrical connector from the O2 sensor.

Remove the O2 sensor using the O2 sensor removal tool and a socket wrench. Turn the O2 sensor counterclockwise with the wrench to remove it from the exhaust.

Thread and tighten the new dummy O2 sensor using the socket wrench and O2 sensor tool.

Then connect the electrical leads. By replacing the real O2 sensor with a dummy O2 sensor, your vehicle's engine control unit will be fooled by the sensor and will not generate any error codes for the vehicle's emissions control system.
Great directions and thanks but my O2 sensor bung is not there, I was prepared to do just as you instructed bought the socket, O2 sensor, as I only read the codes, again new to me vehicle and want it as close to perfect as possible, only to learn that the PO replaced that section of EX and eliminated it altogether, as for the transfer case I too heard/read ALOT about it but my tag clearly states 4405, here the pic I took of it and this is on a 2001 XLT 4.0 SOHC, then again alot of confusion esp on my part would be that I'm talking about AWD as in Automatic Wheel Drive, and others maybe referencing All Wheel Drive, I'm not 100 on if FORDs version is called Auto rather than ALL, like the whole Traction Lok/ Limited Slip thing or not so maybe some confusion on terminology happening, not really sure on that, or could be that.......????? I do know that my X 4.0L SOHC has a 4405 TC and that is the Automatic Wheel Drive version.
Update was terminology mix up on my part thanks for correct info earlier everyone!

Attachments

• TRANSFER CASE TAG (1).jpg
    TRANSFER CASE TAG (1).jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 65

I did crawl under the truck and changed all my fluids, waited until new motor in and truck drove good as it was dead when I bought it, so I learned I got a 4405 transfer case, after digging learned that it is an Automatic 4 wheel drive system, but was told by ppl that only v-8 had the awd system, I did go to kelley blue, and edmunds and typed in awd with SOHC 4.0L and both sites listed as options, at any rate the v-8 is above my skills w/out research and I'm perfectly happy with the v-6, install a pre-oiler and done. As for the O2 leaning towards the no weld bung 1sicbronconut mention or buy a welder maybe both, as I would like the cat efficiency to be monitored, plus fires start easy here in NE NV, just want to say Ty to everyones ideas/help, may have to start thread on the 4405 AWD issue on 4.0L SOHC.
The V8 won't require the skill of maintenance that the v6 will. But the next time I come across a clean sohc, I plan to replace it with a diesel.

Back