Weird loose metal pieces in engine lower pan | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird loose metal pieces in engine lower pan

The balance shaft tensioner and chain are tiny, they look very weak like they belong in a toy. There is a noticeable difference of those and the regular jackshaft tensioner.

The upper oil pan can be R&R'd without much trouble, forget what the manuals say about the odd bolts at the back of it. Just carefully remove them all and be mindful to put them back clean and at the same torque. The front diff, has to be out to do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can access the balance shaft tensioner and main tensioner through the timing cover
No need to pull engine

The other two chain tensioners can be replcaed without pulling the engine
97-02 sohc will have to remove intake plenum and thermostat housing to get to drivers side head tensioner

You can access the balance shaft tensioner and main tensioner through the timing cover
No need to pull engine

The other two chain tensioners can be replcaed without pulling the engine
97-02 sohc will have to remove intake plenum and thermostat housing to get to drivers side head tensioner
Mine is 03 explorer limited 4.0L. Is it the same as 97-02?
Thanks for the info.

people say the balance chain is not needed and can be snipped/removed and won’t affect the engine. I am wondering if it is ok?

Mine is 03 explorer limited 4.0L. Is it the same as 97-02?
Thanks for the info.

people say the balance chain is not needed and can be snipped/removed and won’t affect the engine. I am wondering if it is ok?
you don't need the balance chain also yes that engine goes from 97-12

I have removed many sohc balance chains and their tensioners. You do not need to snip the chain, any sort of cutting it not needed because metal shavings in your oil pan.. the chain can simply be pried apart with a screwdriver and the whole chain removed as one piece then unbolt the tensioner and guide and remove it too

Going through the timing cover you can fix most sohc issues except the rear passenger head cassette, that is the one that the engine must be pulled to access…. Luckily it’s also the one that has the least issues

Back