Weird loose metal pieces in engine lower pan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird loose metal pieces in engine lower pan

timnan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford, Explorer, Limited
My 03 ford explorer limited (4.0L) has slow oil leak from oil drain plug because the drain hole thread was stripped. I purchased a new oil pan and an oil pan gasket set from amazon and yesterday I managed to complete the project. There are surprisingly 2 loose metal pieces in the bottom. I don't know what they are and why they are there. Though my car runs good before and after new oil pan installation and oil change.

My questions:

1. Can anyone please tell me what that is? Will my engine be ok without these 2 pieces? I am a little worried now.

2. I torqued 18 ft/lbs on the new oil drain plug. The new plug still leaks a little bit (1-2 drops during 10-12 hours). I am hesitated to put more torque on it. The new oil pan comes with a metal washer under drain plug. The gasket kit comes 1 plastic washer and 1 rubber washer. Which washer is the best to prevent leaking? OR should I simply increase torque? Please suggest.

Links to parts that I ordered.
Amazon product ASIN B009T532EIAmazon product ASIN B000C2CLBC

Thanks.

IMG_8057.JPG

IMG_8059.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 2005 4.6 engine the oil drain bolt has a little washer built onto the plug. It does not leak. I just put a new one on even though the old one had only a tiny bit of seepage. Look at the picture and you will see the washer is part of the bolt. No need for a crush washer. Here's the one for the 4.0: https://www.autozone.com/external-e...parts-engine-oil-drain-plug-652856/257229_0_0
It looks like the part number for both engines is the same.

I have no idea what those pieces in your oil pan are for. I don't know everything in the engine but those don't even look like they should be inside the engine for anything.

On my 2005 4.6 engine the oil drain bolt has a little washer built onto the plug. It does not leak. I just put a new one on even though the old one had only a tiny bit of seepage. Look at the picture and you will see the washer is part of the bolt. No need for a crush washer. Here's the one for the 4.0: https://www.autozone.com/external-e...parts-engine-oil-drain-plug-652856/257229_0_0
It looks like the part number for both engines is the same.

I have no idea what those pieces in your oil pan are for. I don't know everything in the engine but those don't even look like they should be inside the engine for anything.
That autozone bolt has a special rubber washer which is 1 of the 2 washers come with the gasket kit. I will change to this one when next oil change. Really appreciate your input.

My 03 ford explorer limited (4.0L) has slow oil leak from oil drain plug because the drain hole thread was stripped. I purchased a new oil pan and an oil pan gasket set from amazon and yesterday I managed to complete the project. There are surprisingly 2 loose metal pieces in the bottom. I don't know what they are and why they are there. Though my car runs good before and after new oil pan installation and oil change.

My questions:

1. Can anyone please tell me what that is? Will my engine be ok without these 2 pieces? I am a little worried now.

2. I torqued 18 ft/lbs on the new oil drain plug. The new plug still leaks a little bit (1-2 drops during 10-12 hours). I am hesitated to put more torque on it. The new oil pan comes with a metal washer under drain plug. The gasket kit comes 1 plastic washer and 1 rubber washer. Which washer is the best to prevent leaking? OR should I simply increase torque? Please suggest.

Links to parts that I ordered.
Amazon product ASIN B009T532EIAmazon product ASIN B000C2CLBC

Thanks.

View attachment 448190

View attachment 448191
That is part of your timing chain tensioner

Sounds not good. How bad is it if they fell from timing chain?
Well judging by the metal pieces and since theres no plastic in it those belong to the jackshaft tensioner and they are easy to replace

Also my 99 with the 4.0 has a rattle between 2500 and 3000rpm and it's caused by that tensioner being broken as well it has been broken since i have owned it but id advise you to replace yours just to prevent any issues

Use a copper washer on your drain plug

Or add a slight film of silicon to the washer, it will not leak after this

Get those tensioners replaced!!

Use a copper washer on your drain plug

Or add a slight film of silicon to the washer, it will not leak after this

Get those tensioners replaced!!
Thanks a lot for the tips dealing with the leaking plug. Will do it next oil change.
Definitely they are bad but I am worried the cost for the timing chain tensioners (not an easy diy job for me).

Also my 99 with the 4.0 has a rattle between 2500 and 3000rpm and it's caused by that tensioner being broken as well it has been broken since i have owned it but id advise you to replace yours just to prevent any issues

How many years has your 99 explorer gotten this problem (the rattling sound/broken tensioner)?
I can't do such major repair job by myself so I will have to send it to auto shop. I believe the cost value will be higher than the vehicle itself. I am thinking if I don't do anything how many years it will last.

How many years has your 99 explorer gotten this problem (the rattling sound/broken tensioner)?
I can't do such major repair job by myself so I will have to send it to auto shop. I believe the cost value will be higher than the vehicle itself. I am thinking if I don't do anything how many years it will last.
ive had it since 2020 and it did it when i got it and it's still there and it has probably been doing it for 10+ years

ive had it since 2020 and it did it when i got it and it's still there and it has probably been doing it for 10+ years

WOW your story makes me very confident not to do anything for it and will still have it for years!

I really appreciate your info. This forum is a great place for ford owners.

WOW your story makes me very confident not to do anything for it and will still have it for years!

I really appreciate your info. This forum is a great place for ford owners.
No problem glad i could help

Those pieces are from the front jackshaft tensioner. They are the springs which apply pressure to that chain with the plastic guide part, likely the chain is riding on the steel or what's left of the plastic. It's loose, you should work to get that fixed soon.

Projectthread071.JPG

Removing the water pump and front timing cover is not a terrible job! It really needs to be repaired

The newer updates parts are far superior to the oem design

Us mechanics have an old saying
Give me a little
Money today or…..

Removing the water pump and front timing cover is not a terrible job! It really needs to be repaired

Give me a little
Money today or…..
Yep i have to agree it needs replacing, the only reason i haven't replaced mine is because i don't want to remove the upper oil pan and re seal it

Those pieces are from the front jackshaft tensioner. They are the springs which apply pressure to that chain with the plastic guide part, likely the chain is riding on the steel or what's left of the plastic. It's loose, you should work to get that fixed soon.

View attachment 448216

I looked many videos about timing chain/tensioner replacements yesterday. I see there are several metal sheets on the jackshaft tensioner (from photos on internet). Also, I see there are 1 or 2 pieces of similar metal sheets on the balance shaft tensioner. I searched further and looked photos of these tensioners. I now feel the 2 metal pieces in my lower oil pan look like a part of balance shaft tensioner based on the shape and length of the 2 pieces. I might be wrong.
I attached 3 pics. First 2 photos are the tensioner in the middle. The 3rd photo is probably the balance tensioner according to the video contributor. But there is only 1 piece in there so I am not 100% sure.
I understand it is something has to be done soon, thank you for suggestion. But the cost is just too expensive for me and considering the age of my explorer I am not sure if there is any other coming failures/repairs.

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 1.36.05 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 1.36.25 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 1.37.21 PM.png

The newer updates parts are far superior to the oem design

Give me a little
Money today or…..

Can I do it without pulling out the engine? I am not professional and I have no expertise to do a major job. I will consider do the job if I don't need to take out the entire engine.
Do you think I can replace all 3 tensioners at the same time without taking it out?

Yep i have to agree it needs replacing, the only reason i haven't replaced mine is because i don't want to remove the upper oil pan and re seal it

Understand.
I own this 03 for explorer since 2017 with 170K. Now after 5 years it has 18xK. I don't drive a lot mostly drive kids to school or outdoor activity. I guess probably when I bought it the problem was there and I just don't know.
But I agree with all you guys this needs to be fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can I do it without pulling out the engine? I am not professional and I have no expertise to do a major job. I will consider do the job if I don't need to take out the entire engine.
Do you think I can replace all 3 tensioners at the same time without taking it out?
It's good practice to replace the screw in tensioners there's one on top of the engine by the thermostat housing and one in the rear by the manifold also there's no need to remove the engine to replace the jackshaft tensioner

Also only use ford OEM parts

Back