dreaded po741 trans converter lockup code SOLVED! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dreaded po741 trans converter lockup code SOLVED!

02ex4x4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
last night my od light started flashing around 50mph . I shut it off to reset it and it stayed off the rest of the drive home about 30min at about 50mph was good all morning . now its at it again. some background it was a used trans I installed looked to have a newer converter( blue in color) It had some shifting issues so I put a solenoid pack in it from what it seemed like reparable vender and I also installed a transgo shift kit in the valve body. it seemed to help everything in general. that was roughly 8 months ago drive it almost daily never any codes ever for that matter with this trans. so I guess what I'm asking where do I start? do I check pressures? what should I be looking at? did the converter fail or is it in the valve body or just weak pressures? I'm not pulling out bad converter or solenoid pack as I don't have faith in any part newer or not. I do have a hunch that the pump is tired on this trans it does make some noise at wot or harder acceleration. I plan on selling this truck like I was gonna put a for sale sign in it at the end of the month anyway, but I don't want to give it away if I can fix it as I feel it is still a reliable form of transportation. anybody any thought to narrow it down I don't wanna throw parts at it I have pressure gauges and have the means of the pulling the trans and a older brick snap on scanner. any input is welcome

Need more information.
Engine type. Miles. Year. Age of transmission fluid and filter??

Simple Problems That Trigger the P0741 Code

1. Defective Engine Coolant Temperature Sending Sensor
    1. Make sure your thermostat and temperature sending unit are good. These are different from the unit that sends a signal to the display in the dash. So your dash can show a good temp when that is not the case. You will need to pull the intake to replace sending unit. You'll need intake seals, thermostat, thermostat seal, and the sensor. When engines sense that their temperatures are too low they can go into limp mode which can cause all sorts of weird issues.
  2. Dirty transmission fluid that restricts the hydraulic passages
    1. Do or get a full fluid flush and filter change. Use Valvoline Transmission Fluid for Older Engines And add LubeGuard to the fluid. One ounce for every quart of transmission fluid in the the system. This has fixed several transmission issues for my family.

Do these first before digging any deeper. Reset your codes. And see how everything behaves. Hate to spend more money fixing expensive things when you don't need to. Shops blink $green$ when you do that!

Good Luck
Gill

to answer your question I found a burr that was restricting the tcc valve from moving in the valve body, I replaced it with another upgraded sonnex valve making sure to keep it clean. Now everything works as it should.

Back