Driveline vibration, AWD, what do you think? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driveline vibration, AWD, what do you think?

pricetag2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EB
I know there are a lot of threads on this subject, but I need some help. About three months ago, I replaced the transfer case (bad VC) on my 98EB, 5.0. I got the TC from Transfer Case Express. I replaced all four tires at the same time. Last week I was running down an Interstate at 75 mph and the whole vehicl started vibrating like it was on rumble strips. After I slowed down most of the vibration went away but it was still there. I had my wife take it to the Ford dealer who thinks it is the TC. He removed the front Driveshaft and the vibration went away. Now TCE says that it is a front driveshaft problem, not the TC. I am not near the truck right now and could use some thoughts. TIA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I'm not mistaken the 98 has the CV style front driveshaft. It is pretty much guaranteed to fail eventually.

Mine did the same thing. Replaced the front driveshaft (for the 3rd time) and vibration went away.

Another symptom I had on the front driveshaft was a binding metallic clicking/ratchety sound. The 2nd time I replaced the driveshaft I had that noise.

The 1st time... well the truck didn't come with a front driveshaft when I bought it used but I assume something went wrong with it.

on mine its the chain on my transfer case is beginning to slop... I'm not too concerned as I'm throwing out the 4404 in favor of a 4406 and the front independent D35 for a solid D44

My money would be on the front shaft. Ive seen it many times. Best of luck

Thanks to all, just an update. Had a friend who is a helicopter mechanic check the drive shaft and found the u joint was bad. New shaft coming from ericautopart. Thanks again.

Back