Driver and Passenger side power windows not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver and Passenger side power windows not working

Jbyno

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello Everyone,
My 2011 Ex XLT driver and passenger side driver windows just stopped working. Both back windows are still working though. I have taken it to the dealer and they have checked the power window control on the driver (master) and passenger side and confirmed ok. They also checked the fuses and confirmed ok. Any ideas what the issue could be and how to fix? Any similar experience about both windows stopping at same time?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Everyone,
My 2011 Ex XLT driver and passenger side driver windows just stopped working. Both back windows are still working though. I have taken it to the dealer and they have checked the power window control on the driver (master) and passenger side and confirmed ok. They also checked the fuses and confirmed ok. Any ideas what the issue could be and how to fix? Any similar experience about both windows stopping at same time?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
When you say the rear side windows are still working, is that from the driver's control switches or just from their own?
This is the first post of its kind that I can recall.

Peter

May not have checked the right fuse. There are multiple fuses in the system. Those that power the windows directly and those that power the switches and signal the motors that the car is on.

I'm thinking it's a bad F32 fuse (15 AMP). The fuse(s) they checked were most likely the fuse that powers the motors at all times.

Here is a question can you change the position of the side view mirrors using the driver side switch? If this doesn't work then it's a good sign that its the F32 fuse.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks

The dealer checking the operation, saying they are OK? Why do I find this odd? Did they say why it still didn't work? Seems a bit half azzed to me. If the main controls are 'OK', they didn't bother to check fuses? Something is missing here me thinks. :salute:

Thanks guys for the replies. Here are some answers to your questions;

1. The rear driver and passenger side windows work with both the main driver control switch and their individual control switches.

2. The side view mirrors can be operated perfectly from the driver side control switch. No other electrical issue seems off except both power windows in the front. However, when i'm next at the shop i would see if they have checked for any blown F32 fuses.

3. I recall they checked the 30A fuses that control the one touch up/down passenger side front windows and say they were ok. They are still troubleshooting i believe.

Thanks guys for the replies. Here are some answers to your questions;

1. The rear driver and passenger side windows work with both the main driver control switch and their individual control switches.

2. The side view mirrors can be operated perfectly from the driver side control switch. No other electrical issue seems off except both power windows in the front. However, when i'm next at the shop i would see if they have checked for any blown F32 fuses.

3. I recall they checked the 30A fuses that control the one touch up/down passenger side front windows and say they were ok. They are still troubleshooting i believe.

Just confirmed now...F32 fuse controlling power windows, side mirrors etc has been checked and fuse is intact (not broken)...Suggestions?

You any good with working on cars and using a multimeter?

Ok, so not afraid to try?

Have a mutimeter though? Or test light?

Have a multimeter and ready to go...

Just confirmed now...F32 fuse controlling power windows, side mirrors etc has been checked and fuse is intact (not broken)...Suggestions?
The reason you were asked to check the folding mirrors was likely because Fuse 32 controls the following according to your Owner's Manual; 110V AC power point, Power folding mirror, Power mirrors, One touch up/down front windows, Door lock illumination.
If those work then fuse 32 likely isn't the issue.

Peter

Do both driver and passenger side switch panels light up when the vehicle is on? If you can't tell try covering them up a little bit. If your mirror switch works the driver side should definitely do it.

Another question has any work been doing to it lately? Add new speakers maybe?

Here is post showing how to remove the door panel (which you may have to do to diagnose this):
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Ford-Explorer-Interior-Door-Panel-Removal-Guide/index.html

Here are the wiring diagrams: (ignore pages that say BASE in the upper left):

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=875002

Do both driver and passenger side switch panels light up when the vehicle is on? If you can't tell try covering them up a little bit. If your mirror switch works the driver side should definitely do it.

Another question has any work been doing to it lately? Add new speakers maybe?

Here is post showing how to remove the door panel (which you may have to do to diagnose this):
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Ford-Explorer-Interior-Door-Panel-Removal-Guide/index.html

Here are the wiring diagrams: (ignore pages that say BASE in the upper left):

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=875002

Yes....both driver and passenger side door panels light up...and No...I have done any work on the car recently.

I have sent it back to the dealer. Will keep you updated on their progress.

Thanks alot.

@Jbyno

What ever happened with resolving this? My wife just hit me up that the front driver side window will not go down, but all other windows are working.

I have sent it back to the dealer. Will keep you updated on their progress

@Jbyno

What ever happened with resolving this? My wife just hit me up that the front driver side window will not go down, but all other windows are working.
Did you check the fuse? Fuse 1, 30A, in the cabin fuse box; One touch up/down driver side front window.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I noted that fuse to check from the manual. I'll look tonight if I can or over the weekend. There's a chance it might be frozen also. We've had some rain the past few days and now today we're in the upper teens and the car is not kept in the garage. Just not sure why the other windows would open and just the driver side wouldn't. I'll have to check for that as well.

Thanks Peter. I noted that fuse to check from the manual. I'll look tonight if I can or over the weekend. There's a chance it might be frozen also. We've had some rain the past few days and now today we're in the upper teens and the car is not kept in the garage. Just not sure why the other windows would open and just the driver side wouldn't. I'll have to check for that as well.
Good luck getting to that fuse box. You have to be some what of a contortionist. I think if it was frozen that it would make some attempt to open. Some slight movement. That's been my experience with that kind of issue.

Peter

Yes....both driver and passenger side door panels light up...and No...I have done any work on the car recently.

I have sent it back to the dealer. Will keep you updated on their progress.

Thanks alot.
Any update? I'm having this exact issue.

Any update? I'm having this exact issue.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The member you quoted was last seen here on September 24, 2016 so likely isn't around any longer.
Have you checked fuses?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back