Driver side cold/passenger side hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver side cold/passenger side hot

ejh1959

Reaction score
City, State
Atglen, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
My '04 EB A/C blows hot on passenger side after the car cools. I have dual zone climate control, but don't keep it on dual control. I set the temp to 60 and it blows cold from all vents until the car cools somewhat. Then it stays cold from driver side, but cycles hot and cold from passenger side. It's almost like the passenger side doesn't know where it's at. If I don't keep it set to 60, the passenger side stays warm. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the manual setup. I always wanted the electronic version. But people I've talked to, say they've had nothing but issues with it. Sounds like the electronics are going out.

After getting some help pulling codes from the digital display, it pointed to a right side actuator motor problem. I replaced the part and it works great now!

Always nice to solve the problem.

If you can, explain how you obtained the codes, may help others down the line.

Good point! I got the instructions from a Ford Tech on www.justanswer.com. Pretty cool website as you get to interact with an expert in many different fields, although there is a small fee. Anyway, he sent this:

Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module On-demand Self-Test

The DATC module on-demand self-test will retrieve on-demand (hard fault) DTCs only, it will not retrieve continuous DTCs. Continuous DTCs can be cleared when exiting the DATC module on-demand self-test. Make sure to retrieve continuous DTCs by carrying out the Dual Automatic Temperature
Control Module —Retrieve Continuous DTCs procedure before clearing any continuous DTCs.

The DATC module on-demand self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A diagnostic tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.

The DATC module on-demand self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display on-demand (hard fault) DTCs for concerns that are present during the self-test. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°C -38°C (40°F -100°F) when performing the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false DTCs may be displayed.

The self-test can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when the self-test is activated.

To enter the self-test press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within two seconds. The display will show a flashing blower icon for 20 seconds, after which all vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no on-demand DTCs present. If DTCs are present the DATC module will display "00 00" and then on-demand DTCs. Record all DTCs displayed.

If any DTCs appear during the self-test, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Dual Automatic Temperature Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.

If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The DATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.

To exit the self-test and retain all continuous DTCs, press any button except
DEFROST. The DATC module will exit the self-test and retain all continuous DTCs.

To exit the self-test and clear all continuous DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The DATC module will exit the self-test and all continuous DTCs will be cleared.

Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the self-test is exited the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the temperature blend door actuators to
automatically recalibrate.

Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs

It seems like a lot, but all I really did was turn the car on, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons at the same time, then pressed AUTO within 2 seconds. The display changed and eventually showed a code of 2267. I then hit any button other than DEFROST and waited for more than 30 seconds to turn the car off.

I then reported the code to the tech that was helping me and he came back with RH blend door motor problems. All of this was the easy part. Replacing it was not! But I got it done without having to completely rip out the dash and thankfully it took care of the problem completely.

Long winded I know, but I hope it helps!

Back