Driver side door won't unlock with keycode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver side door won't unlock with keycode

cm87201237

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 01' Ford explorer the key will not unlock my driver door (an issue I decided to address yet because all other doors were fine and the keypad worked) but recently the keypad will not unlock my driver door, the lock moves a little but will not go up all the way. All other doors will unlock and work fine, also the driver door will unlock and lock from the inside. So I'm assuming the issue is with the keypad itself?

I have a 01' Ford explorer the key will not unlock my driver door (an issue I decided to address yet because all other doors were fine and the keypad worked) but recently the keypad will not unlock my driver door, the lock moves a little but will not go up all the way. All other doors will unlock and work fine, also the driver door will unlock and lock from the inside. So I'm assuming the issue is with the keypad itself?

I've replaced the keypad once already, went to an auto-wrecker and pulled one out for $11. It simply has a clip holding it to the door and another clip which plugs into a wiring harness near the speaker.

I figured it was the keypad because at night I noticed the last 2 keys wouldn't light up.

Now, if your keypad is in fact working then I would see if your door latch is broken. I have replaced mine three times now because they are just awful at jamming and the "door open" sensor breaking. OEM Ebay for around $55 but I got mine by Making An Offer for $40. You can look at the actuator inside the door and see if it is trying to go up and down, even moving it by hand should easily unlock the door.

The bracket that holds the lock actuator is riveted to the door near the latch mechanism. Sounds like the rivet came loose from the door, allowing the actuator to move rather than the lock rod itself. I used a small nut and bolt to reattach it to the door on my truck.

Bill

Back