Driver's Seat not moving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's Seat not moving

hatecars

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer
So last week my drivers seat won't slide forward or backwards(electric)..I can see this large "rod" underneath..

Is it possible to remove the driver's seat and fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So last week my drivers seat won't slide forward or backwards(electric)..I can see this large "rod" underneath..

Is it possible to remove the driver's seat and fix this?
>>>>>>>>>

Does the seat move in any direction at all like up and down in height? Or just doesn't go forward or backward? If no movement in any direction, check your fuses that control your seat switches and look for a blown fuse. Look in your owners manual for what fuses control which devices. Check for broken wires in the wiring harness to the seat controls. Yes, you can un-bolt the drivers seat from the floor board and yes, most everything is repairable. Should be 4 bolts, 2 front and 2 back and you'll have to disconnect the wiring harness to the seat control switches.

I can hear it moving and see the "rod" spinning, my seat just doesn't move forward or backwards..

up and down i think it does will have to check..

Will try to unbolt this weekend..

My seat locked up in the lowest position. I would only get a click then nothing. Only 4 easy bolts and i was able to tilt the seat forward to get the motors. With mine, it was jammed against the stop, i only had to turn the shaft one turn the other way with pliers to get it going again.

Yours, if the shaft is spinning thats a little different. With the seat forward you will get a better look, there was a motor and gear box and threaded rod that attached to the seat frame via lever.

Bad news, when i looked last year i could only find whole seats from JY; dealer sold the power seat frame portion but for like $600. . .wtf. Hopefully its a simple fix.

So i finally took the seat out..

Two rods control the front to back movement(one on each side).

Took seat out was able to spin the one rod that wouldn't spin by hand, put seat back in hooked it to electric and one rod still won't spin when connected to electric.

So I am guessing I have an electric problem.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the seat?

I have the shop manuals & wiring diagrams for the '02 Explorer. I will look them over and see what I can come up with. Stand by..................

I think i found my problem. Metal piece at the back of seat it broken causing the rod to not be able to apply pressure.

Going to JY tomorrow to see if i can find a new bottom to my seat

I think i found my problem. Metal piece at the back of seat it broken causing the rod to not be able to apply pressure.

Going to JY tomorrow to see if i can find a new bottom to my seat

Nice work finding the issue. Keep us posted and let me know if you need any diagrams. :D:thumbsup:

On 8/14/12 my 02 Mountaineer(v6) driver seat locked it moves up/down but not front and back. The dealer attempted to fix but said I need a new seat motor which Ford does not make anymore. They got one from the junkyard which looked good but was no good after they installed it on Friday, 8/17/12. That would have cost me $500, if it would have worked. I now know that this is something I can do own my own thanks to you guys. The advice sounds good and I will be using it Sunday/Monday, but which was the quickest and most successful in solving this problem

On 8/14/12 my 02 Mountaineer(v6) driver seat locked it moves up/down but not front and back. The dealer attempted to fix but said I need a new seat motor which Ford does not make anymore. They got one from the junkyard which looked good but was no good after they installed it on Friday, 8/17/12. That would have cost me $500, if it would have worked. I now know that this is something I can do own my own thanks to you guys. The advice sounds good and I will be using it Sunday/Monday, but which was the quickest and most successful in solving this problem

I've got the same problems, but don't look forward to paying for the entire seat. Can you please tell me where you found the instructions on how to replace just the motor? You'll have my eternal (well, long lasting) gratitude.:D

Back