Drivers window problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers window problem

Reaction score
City, State
PA just outside of the Burgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 Bronco II/96 5.0
None of the other threads I searched seem to address the same problem. My drivers window on a 96 XLT has had an intermittant problem where the drivers window will not go down. All other windows work fine and if it goes down, it goes up just fine. Logic tells me that the automatic feature on the drivers window (If you hit the button quick, it goes althe way down on its own) requires some sort of relay after the switch. I would assume this is my problem, but I can't find any mention of it. This forum mentions a relay under the dash in several posts, but they all state that this is before the switch and would kill all of the windows if it went bad. I have tried replacing the switch with a used one, but I do hear a stepped relay click under the dash when the drivers side window button is pressed. (Clicks when first pressed and then again if button is held) The relay would not click if the switch did not work to activate it. The sound is between the column and fuse box, but I did not see anything under the dash. Does anybody know what I'm looking for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its called the "one touch" relay and its in the same area as all the "posts" that you "saw" about the "other relay".... the area is called relay module... center of the dash / IP.

What truck are you working with? The auto down function is a relay module that is separate on 93/94 Explorers, and may be the same on 95-97 trucks. That module is mounted to the door panel on those trucks, not in the dash.

I know that the auto down feature is part of the dash wiring for the 98-01's. I have seen the older type of auto down module on a 97 Sport door panel, so I'd suggest first finding out which type you have.

BTW, I doubt that that module is your window problem, it's most likely the main LF switch. Remove the door panel and test the switch. Remove the wiring from the switch and use an ohmmeter to test it. The contacts inside each switch is extremely fragile.

I think his post says "96 xlt".... the one touch relay is in the relay module in the dash area as described.

Having said that.... IT is always wise to checking things out with a meter as opposed to just "blindly" replacing parts.

Thanks everyone. If there are multiple relays, will this one be numbered or labeled? I did not see anything about these relays in my owner's manual; just the ones under the hood. And the only other information I have is a piece of #@*! Haynes Manual. It is a 96 Explorer XLT and I do have a meter, it just helps to know where all the connections are.

there is a row of four (all the same) and a row with 2 the same plus a "big one". The "row of 4"... the "one touch" is the "first one" over top of the "big one".... sorry but the picture isn't really good and I ain't crawling under my dash to take a look to make more sense of it... :)

PS.... Actually after reading your post again, it ain't a relay problem cause you said that feature works (IF I understand your statement correctly... hit it quickly and it goes down.... or were you just making a statement about the feature?????), you more likely have a broken T/LB wire in the door post area... or leaving the relay module in the dash.

The fact that the other three windows work all of the time means that the main power wire is fine.

Budwich,
I was just describing the feature because I drew a blank on the name of it. At first it was an intermittant problem where it would not go down, but if it did up was never a problem. Now it does not go down at all. I will try to tear into it tomorrow and I plan to take pics of the relay for the next guy. I'm 99% sure that it is either the relay or the wire from the relay to the motor.

I need to fix the lock solenoid in the door too and plan to take pics of that too.

Thanks for the info.

thanks for the added info.... if that's the case, good chance its the relay but test with a meter.

Back