Driveshaft Vibration?

umd pru

Reaction score
City, State
Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt 4.0L
hey guys,
i just replaced my transfer case and now im noticing some vibrations. I had the tires balanced and the vibration is still there at high speeds. I got under the ex and took a look and found that there seems to be some oil being "slinged" around by the output yoke to the rear driveshaft. Is this because my driveshaft is out of balance? should i also replace the ujoints in the shaft and have it balanced? Im concerned that im going to blow this tcase up and i just payed a huge amount of money to get a rebuilt unit.

please....someone let me know.

thanks,
pru

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what kind of oil is it? If it's transmission fluid (red) then you probably have a leaky seal. An out of balance driveshaft shouldn't cause that much damage except the vibration you feel. Bad u-joints can cause vibration which may give some play in the driveshaft which can possibly wear out the seal.

-Drew

I once had an out of balance driveshaft. I had terrible vibrations which caused my rear U joint to break. If the driveshaft is vibrating, it could cause fluid to leak from either area where the driveshaft is connected to. First check your U joints like Drew just said. While the driveshaft is out, try rolling it on a completely flat surface. If it appears to wobble, then it is bent.

It is a clear fluid with black residue in it. I dont know where this clear fluid could be coming from, maybe assembly lube from the rebuilt tcase? The black residue tells me that something made of aluminum or magnesium is wearing while in contact with that oil. The tcase is magnesium so i hope the bearing "hole" isnt wearing down. The case is "brand new". rebuilt with only 5 or 600 miles on it so far. Im going to take the shaft out this weekend and get it balanced and see what happens. im also going to make sure the cross member tranny mount is tight. Anyone have any idea what the clear fliud could be? Ill take a pic of it but i dont know how to post pics so if someone wants to post it for me ill email it. Thanks for the help.

pru

I have a 1996 Explorer XLT 4x4 and I was having problems with the vibration, then one day my drive shaft blew off. The vibration was because there was only 2 bolts holding it on and they were not across from eachother, this threw it out of balance and blew it right off, i got new bolts and put it back on and i never had another vibration problem but now my transfer case is out, but i dont care about that now it works

Back