Driving with "O/D OFF" light flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driving with "O/D OFF" light flashing

andy123

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLS
A few days ago I noticed that my automatic trans on 01' Explorer XLS 4.0L was abnormally shifting from 2nd back to 1st at around 25mph (rpms went from 2100 to 2900) when accelerating slowly. It stayed in 1st for a second than back to 2nd...then the rest of the shifts were normal. Just today the O/D off light started flashing, but the problem of gear coming out of 2nd to 1st went away. I am wanted to drive to visit family tomorrow, noticed fluid level in trans is at good level....can driving 100miles with this light on cause more problems then already exist? Or is this electrical and the problem can be addressed later?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem....

I went to the local Ford dealer the last time the OD OFF light started flashing on my '03 Explorer (at ~100K Miles). I wanted to check the transmission fluid level and discovered that for at least the '03 model, it is a 'sealed unit' and not easily checked or filled.

The dealer told me that the transmission computer was reporting that the transission was "slipping". They went on to say that the problem was not an overdrive problem, but rather general slippage within the transmission. A transmission rebuild 'fixed' the problem for me but set me back a bundle.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you with any confidence if you have 10 miles to failure or 100K miles to failure. In usual 'dealerize', the my dealer created the aura of impending doom and gloom saying it could fail at any time. Since I drive 85 miles one way to/from work each day, I didn't want to take the risk.

Sorry I'm not more help; Good Luck.

The O/D Off light means that there's a DTC set for some problem with your transmission. Hook up an OBD-2 scanner (you can rent them for free at Autozone) and pull the code(s). That should give you an idea of where exactly the problem lies.

The 2001 is the 5R55E with a dipstick fill tube unlike the 2003 5R55W which has a plug on the transmission. It's not sealed like they want you to believe. You could check the level by opening the plug. It is refilled the same way, but needs a 1/8" fitting to connect a hand pump onto. Dealers always try to push for a rebuild. The 5R55W has known issues with the solenoid blocks failing around 60k miles. A new block with a new tune (flash the PCM, and set a new program) usually does the trick. The flashing overdrive light indicates that there is a code stored for the transmission. Find out what the code is, and don't continue to drive this way! The increased pressure which is regulated by the EPC solenoid is causing it to go into FMEM (limp) mode. Not all scanners are capable of reading these codes.

This problem I have the tranny will shift from 2nd down to 1st for a split second at 25mph....as if I tried to accelerate hard all the sudden. If I shift it manually using 2nd....it will not come out of 2nd and will accerate slowly, normally, until I put in D...then goes to 3rd...etc.....

Having my mechanic check it out tomorrow morning. This auto tranny (i have owned all manuals my life) was the only part that had me worried. If there needs to be a rebuild...i will get my mechanic to put a manual tranny from wreckers in there and give me piece of mind.

If you put a manual tranny in there, you will, I believe, need the PCM from the engine that it's being pulled from, and it needs to be a V6. I don't think (BB will correct me if I'm wrong) that you can just reflash the PCM to turn an auto setup into a manual one.

This morning my mechanic put vehicle on scanner. Code; improper gear 3 ratio came up. I told him what Brooklny Bay wrote about solenoid issues. He said that the code could mean any 1 of 4 solenoids need to be changed and his diagnosic could take awhile. His frame of mind was the tranny could be on the outs, and maybe time for a rebuild. I am not going to go this route unless 100% necessary.

A friend reffered me to someone who deals with nothing but trannys, so I will get him to have a look at it. He did say from symptoms that it most likely did not need to be rebuilt. Will need to wait and find out the 2nd opinion.

Got the same problem. The O/D light only starts flashing on long highway trips after about 50 miles or so. Has anyone ever tried the TransX stuff?

This morning my mechanic put vehicle on scanner. Code; improper gear 3 ratio came up. I told him what Brooklny Bay wrote about solenoid issues. He said that the code could mean any 1 of 4 solenoids need to be changed and his diagnosic could take awhile. His frame of mind was the tranny could be on the outs, and maybe time for a rebuild. I am not going to go this route unless 100% necessary.

A friend reffered me to someone who deals with nothing but trannys, so I will get him to have a look at it. He did say from symptoms that it most likely did not need to be rebuilt. Will need to wait and find out the 2nd opinion.

Always best to get a second opinion- of course he said it could be on the outs. Always hear the worst case. Mechanic 101...

I agree- sounds like solenoid troubles from what I've read thus far. I'd side with your new tranny friend first- always good to spend smartly first! :thumbsup:

Back