• Register Today It's free!

O/D off light flashing

rcrick

Reaction score
City, State
Prentiss, Ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer Sport. The overdrive off light has been flashing for about 2 years now. I can't tell any difference in the way it dirves, gas milage or anything like that. Problem is, I am getting ready to trade or sell it and now I would like to solve the problem, if it is not anything to serious before I put it up for sale. I took it to a Ford dealership and the said it had to be something internial to the transmission. I then took it to a Aamco shop and they said that they could not get the light to come on and therfore they could not get a reading on there equipment as to where the problem was. Cost me about $100.00 between the two places and the light started flashing again even before I go 2 mile away from Aamco. They were closed by then so I just gave up.

Ok, I see there are a lot of post on this site about o/d light flashing. What seems to make my problem different is the car seems to running ok.

Thanks

Ricky

I have a 98 explorer sport aswell that does the same thing, though infrequently. mainly just after I've been spinning brodies.

It could be a number of things.. The odd thing is, the codes are stored in the system for a certain period of time so it should have detected the codes from it if they were any.

flashing OD light usually means that the trans is overheated, and it wont operate in overdrive, if the trans is not hot the temp sensor or bem can be faulty, if the trans oil is a dull red it means the clutches or bands are slipping which will cause it to overheat,not good

Back