• Register Today It's free!

Driving With Rear Glass Open??

walterd140

Reaction score
City, State
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Getting warm up here in Massachusetts. Was wondering if it is safe to drive with the rear hatch glass in the open position. Anyone give this a try? The air pistons seem to be strong enough... but before I shatter a window I thought I might see if anyone did this already.

Thanks & Happy 4th
Walter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've seen other people driving like this. i haven't, but it seems there's were ok

ive always heard that it's dangerous because of exhaust gases blowing in the back when you go down the road. not worth it in my opinion.

With either the rear window or rear gate open you will get some exhaust fumes in the vehicle. Opening the rest of the windows will draft enough air but you will still have the exhaust odor. I have done this while hauling oversized loads short distances without incident. Also wind will tend to shut the rear window and gate.

yeah...worst case scenario:
carbon monoxide from your exhaust puts you to sleep on the highway at 70 mph...

Riding over rough roads or safety bumps or curbs......going too fast......I'd be afraid.......very afraid. I'd stick with leaving it open only for an "emergency."

I don't have the extra cash laying around to replace it, if it gets broken.

Aloha, Mark

I've done it alot...
but now that I see others talking about exhaust fumes coming in.
I will reconsider.

Just think of it as a ginormous spoiler.

Texplorer said:
Just think of it as a ginormous spoiler.

hahah, like a porsche wail tail.

Seriously though, I have done it a couple of times, but not for pleasure driving. If I have something too long, I will leave it out the back with the window up. I drive extremely careful in this situation though. No freeways, no whoop-te-do's through parking lots with speed bumps, etc.

I would think that it would wear the pistons out prematurely from the window bouncing up and down going over bumps and things.

Why not just unbolt it and remove it? I wouldn't worry so much about the exhaust part, I haven't heard of anyone driving a bronco with the glass down passing out.

I used to do this A LOT. The pumps are pretty strong. You don't notice the smell of the gases until you stop, and your truck will start to smell like exhaust.

My window is off entirely, and my hatch finds its way off some of the time. I really only notice the exhaust with the hatch off.

Wow.... I really didn't think it was done a lot. But from the responses it sounds like the window would be ok in the open position. I was really wondering / scared that the glass would slam shut & shatter. Doesn't sound like that would be a problem though. Thanks & Have a great weekend.

Walter

Back