Rear Glass open while driving? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Glass open while driving?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just thought about it because a few friends of mine have owned bronco's and one a 4runner as well, i've also seen some jeepers doing it, so i thought i would ask if it were possible, i'm wasn't saying i would do it all the time or that i have a particular interest in dying, i wasn't aware of the fact that it would draw exhaust into the truck. Clearly there is a large split over whether this is true or not, i think i'll err on the side of caution and just deal with the 5 windows i have.

Thanks,
Justin

just chop the top and get it over with...death aint worth it

I'd be willing to bet the owners manual {<-I dont have one) would have some mention of this very topic of discussion.

just because "jeep folks" do it, doesnt mean it's safe (that's an oxymoron at best)

LOL

Quoted for the hilaraity factor alone.

this could be "famous last words"

Quoted because you dont even make a F****** argument

If it was so dangerous, the government would have made a "safety lock" requirement to prevent people from doing (driving with the rear window open). Yes, you are going to get some "air stuff" inside your vehicle, will it kill you, probably not directly or ever... but it may render your reaction times a bit slower at best which might cause you an issue.

PS.... just drive with your head close to the floor... :)

Quoted because you dont even make a F****** argument

wasn't trying to argue.. there is no argument.

If you wanna huff a colorless, orderless, poisonous gas.. by all means feel free.

hopefully future readers of this thread will see the err in your ways, hopefully not by a R.I.P. thread linked to this discussion.

wasn't trying to argue.. there is no argument.

If you wanna huff a colorless, orderless, poisonous gas.. by all means feel free.

hopefully future readers of this thread will see the err in your ways, hopefully not by a R.I.P. thread linked to this discussion.

you're surrounded by colorless odorless deadly gas. CO is everywhere, you'd better stop breathing or you might die!

you're surrounded by colorless odorless deadly gas. CO is everywhere, you'd better stop breathing or you might die!

yes, of course we are, at a very low PPM compared to what will/can be inside your vehicle.

yes, of course we are, at a very low PPM compared to what will/can be inside your vehicle.

only it wont be... STOP encouraging m to rent a combustion analyzer to prove you wrong

I gotta throw my 2 cents in here.

I've driven with the rear window open. Hell, I drove to Florida (from NJ) with it open the whole way (it was August and the truck had no A/C). At highway speeds, with the side windows open you will not pull in exhaust fumes. There is way more then enough airflow through the truck, to keep exhaust from coming in the back window. I wouldnt drive around with JUST the back window open. That could create a negative pressure situation and pull fumes in the back window. I never really drive around at lower speeds with the back window open, so I dont know if your gonna pull exhaust fumes in then.

You can get one of these to hold it open:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universal-Hood-Lift-Support-Strut-Shock-Clamp-Tool-3475_W0QQitemZ400113298205QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Automotive_Tools?hash=item5d289c6b1d

Wanna try this and get back to us :D

lol, i have never done it for a long time but i have started vehicles in the garage in the winter with the garage all closed up. havnt died yet!

that being said, i have a 1985 honda 250 big red three wheeler if you know what that is. its carburated with no catalytic converter and it sets off the carbon monoxide detector even with all windows open and the garage door totally open.

none of our vehicles will set off the CO detector within the amount of time i have ever run them with the door closed but it is probably true that cats do not convert 100% of the CO into CO2. i tried to find some legit info on the percentages of the different gases going into and coming out of the catalytic converter but did not find anything.

looking back on it i see that my post is unnecessarily rude and i apologize.

i do retain my opinion that there will be no where near enough Co pollution in the drivers seat to hurt the operator, perhaps passengers in the back seats could be affected but i have my doubts. like i said, toyota 4 runners have had power rear windows that go down all the way for like 20 years and i have been in them with the rear window down many many times. a good friend had one in hs. there was never an issue. the only safety issue i see with this idea is with the possibility of the rear window breaking off and shattering allover the road.

I drive around with mine open all the time as long as I have the front windows open (2dr sport). I guess I'd assume that one would smell exhaust before there would be a significant risk of poisoning, though I'm no expert. I can't imagine that one would inhale a larger amount of co2 driving like this than they would smoking a large cigar which I do occasionally. I've also never had an issue with the glass breaking or coming loose at highway speeds, though I do regularly inspect all the linkage holding it in place to be sure it's not working it's way out.

Just one man's perspective, not proven fact.

Sorry to drag out an old post, but I found this one while searching for something else and felt I had to chime in. Its not a good idea, I have done it before on a 20 minute (at most) drive home in my old Jeep one time and it only took me 5-10 minutes of open highway driving to feel dizzy and sick enough to pull over and close the window.

I drove a wrangler and just took out the rear window from my soft top, and had the front windows both open (too lazy after work to take the entire top off along with the rear side windows). Without the top, or atleast just removing all the windows opens everything up more to not create a vaccum

I find it crazy, working in the construction field, that there are people who would start their cars in the winter time in the garage with everything closed, I'm going to assume that your garage isn't sealed very well. And to the poster who said that theres no issue of CO because the cars should have functioning CATS, try laying down next to your exhaust and breathe deeply and see how long you will last!

From some of the responses to this thread (including the original) some of you are already showing signs of CO poisoning...lol

IF you are really worried about it, get a CO detector and put it in the car... then if you think you have a problem, it will tell you.

Back