Dropped the fuel tank.....holy rust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dropped the fuel tank.....holy rust

harister

Reaction score
City, State
Youngstown OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer 2 door
So I dropped the fuel tank to replace what I thought was just a bad fuel pump, and the sending unit stayed in place when the fuel tank dropped - the rust had eaten entirely through where it meets the plastic tank. (The SWB Ex had been sitting in a barn for 10 years.) Here's the question: I can get a new sending unit, clearly needed - see picture, and all the other hardware, but the metal ring that is joined to the plastic tank is rusted and swelled and can't be removed. Plus the fuel tank is full of thick gunk. I'm thinking this was why it was parked - rust and moisture getting in would have been an intermittent but difficult problem to diagnose.

Where can I get a new tank? I'm assuming that this is a common spot for rust to collect, maybe not normally this badly, but all the ones I see on eBay are used and have similar rust on the tank retaining ring.

Anyone have any clever work-rounds or know where I can get a new tank?
100_6908.jpg

100_6909.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This actually is common, since Ford has a long history and a bad habit of using regular, mild, uncoated, unpainted steel rather than stainless or even at least painting it. Same with the exhausts and lots of other stuff.

The thick gunk in the tank is likely from ethanol. When it sits long enough, it seperates and some of it gels up.

The only place to get a new tank would probably be a dealer, if Ford even has any left to sell, and they would be hundreds of dollars.

Your best bet for a tank at a sane price would be buying from someone parting out their rig on here. Might even get a newer fuel pump out of it too. Shipping should be cheap for an empty plastic tank, though you may want to get the straps as well depending on the shape yours are in. Tank would probably have to spend a few days airing out and still need to be shipped something like FedEx Ground just for safety, plus FedEx Ground is less expensive for larger items anyway.

Little rusty under there!

Start'n to look like my Ranger extra cab here:
scuba_duma_cars_big_zps5f93d6f1.jpg

also can try car-part.com, will search local used ones, many have pictures, or will email you pictures

Last time that thread was active was 2014?

I blame it on my newbness hahaha. Hope whoever it was got it fixed

NP.

All sins forgiven!

Back