Dropping the fuel Tank | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dropping the fuel Tank

Yeah, normally I get around 285 if it's topped off, but I got 350 on the highway going from Augusta to Raleigh and had some gasoline left over. I'm not brave enough to run it empty yet...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Way to dig up an old thread and ask a question is not even relevant...

...to answer your question (which has been covered HUNDREDS of times since this thread has died), there are MANY factors in your question. Someone who lives in Iowa (VERY flat & little to no traffic) will get better mileage than the person with the same driving habits that lives in Seattle or San Francisco (i.e. LOTS of hills & medium traffic)

I have been on this site for a few years, and have seen guys claim from 120 to 500 per tank. I personally have gotten 320 on a trip to Oregon, along I-5 (the largest & longest west coast highway that goes from Mexico to Canada)

Ryan
Wow. you seem to know your explorers. and you have most likely drove every kind of terrain.i live in upstate pa where its all mountains and high hills steep roads that seem to meet the stars. But I wouldnt pay that any attention. it plays no factor in where i drive whatsoever.
I drive mostly moderate flat roads with a tiny a little highway travel. alot of winding roads . so im far away from san frans hills. althogh winding its not at all alot of stop and go trafic. and i dont floor the peddle. and i shift the overdrive to drive. as needed but my friend i dont wish to be cantankerous in any way and i know you cant get it precise. just your opinion of an estimate. so keeping it shy of saying fill it after a hundres miles, what would you say?
i will gladly get it repaired within 3 or 4 months but im getting married to my dream girl so i have 350 people to feed.
for real i want to thank you ahead even if the outcome seems ominous. but remember it is me sitting here in contretemps over a gas gauge. THX- Mark

As mentioned there are many variables in play that determine mileage. As such you need to calculate your MPG and multiply it by the tank capacity ~19.3 gals to determine how many miles you can get out of a tank.

19.3gals x MPG = MAX Miles per tank

Yeah, normally I get around 285 if it's topped off, but I got 350 on the highway going from Augusta to Raleigh and had some gasoline left over. I'm not brave enough to run it empty yet...
Thanks josh. 285 sounds pretty good to me.. i will even give it 250 mi and frequent the filling station.
thx SPD. but the sheer mathimatics alone were mind boggling.

truthfully the easiest way i found not to have to drop the tank alot is to put an aftermarket fuel sending unit in and mount it on the frame rail..... well i mounted it inside the frame rail. and when you remove the old one just get the things needed to seal the hole with the exception for the hose coming out and but an inline fuel filter and screen for the pump.

I would guess 320 miles.

Believe me when I tell you this story, I replaced mine a while ago (April 05) and it got real cold here in Texas and I was at a mall the day before Christmas (2008) and I went in for an hour came back out and the Explorer would start and quit, like it was out of fuel.

I knew it was the fuel pump because the electronic pump was silent.

I thought to myself, SOB, because it was a pain in the you know what, to drop that tank and remove that entire assembly. (even though new fuel pump has a life-time warranty.)

I do not know what possessed me to lie on my back in the parking lot and smack the bottom of the cage below the tank, but I did.

Went back to the Explorer, and it started right up.....

No problems yet....

Anyone out there knows what might have happened and has it ever happened to you....?

d-1

I would guess 320 miles.

Believe me when I tell you this story, I replaced mine a while ago (April 05) and it got real cold here in Texas and I was at a mall the day before Christmas (2008) and I went in for an hour came back out and the Explorer would start and quit, like it was out of fuel.

I knew it was the fuel pump because the electronic pump was silent.

I thought to myself, SOB, because it was a pain in the you know what, to drop that tank and remove that entire assembly. (even though new fuel pump has a life-time warranty.)

I do not know what possessed me to lie on my back in the parking lot and smack the bottom of the cage below the tank, but I did.

Went back to the Explorer, and it started right up.....

No problems yet....

Anyone out there knows what might have happened and has it ever happened to you....?

d-1

the explorer gods must have shined their explorer powers on you that day ..... everybody gets one freebe every now and then .

LOL...

That reminds me of a story one of my friends Grandpa's told us one time...about saving an S-10 stuck on the side of the road by kicking the gas tank...

So fast forward a few years and my friends fuel pump goes out in his Caddy, so he calls me, then calls his grandpa. I told him the fuel pump is likely on the frame rail, and his grandpa says it's in the tank. We were both right. There were 2....but back to the story...

His grandpa was convinced he could get it working againg by hitting it. So he told him to kick the gas tank. I said it wouldn't work. An electronic motor can't be 'kick started' like that, and that his grandpa was a little crazy. So, there we are watching my friend under his Sedan Deville, lying on his back kicking the crap out of his gas tank. It was hillarious though. He looked like a 3 year old throwing a temper tantrum under a 5,000 lb. car!

After all of that, NOTHING. The low pressure 'primer' pump was fine, and working. It was the High Pressure EFI Pump on the frame rail was the culprit. One whack with an open palm (think: PIMP SLAP!!..after all, it IS a Caddy!) and it started working! And worked everyday until he finally sold it a few years later!

Ryan

Yeah imagine that, I thought the same thing myself and was so close to calling a wrecker and all I did was slap the protective cage with my hand a few times.

Tow it to Ford and with wrecker fees and all....?

I kid you not, it was Christmas Eve and freezing cold that evening......

d-1

Back