Dual Electronics iPlug Stereo Connection Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Electronics iPlug Stereo Connection Kit

ExcelDominus

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
So i purchased this little product the other day when i replaced my stock radio. I already had a Belkin fm transmitter but i dont really like it because the new radio does not let me tune to a band that isnt prodcasting. However, I cannot seem to get the Idual to work.... The radio has RCA connections for it which are plugged in and I have the cable to connect to the device. I've tried my ipod, sony walkman mp3 player, my wifes pos music player, and her old ghetto roxio 256k mp3 player... No luck with any of it. The directions on the box(and what ive found on the web) offer nothing past connect and play, and to let the device control the music... Anyone else have any ideas?

here is a link to the product i bought, however i got mine at advance.

http://www2.shopping.com/Dual-Dual-iPlug-Car-Adapter-827204108017/info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What headunit are you using?

Are you sure the RCA's are the auxilary input? (Could be a sub out, front/rear out)

more than likely a sub out your plugging it into. If all else fails you can pick up a FM modulator, thats what i have hooked up in line between my antenna and head-unit so its crystal clear all the time vs those FM transmitters.

I have the JVC Model #KD-G220.

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by a 'sub out' and 'fm modulator'?

That's not an ignorant question man, we all gotta learn somewhere.

From what I'm seeing on your headunit, the iPlug is not compatible. You have it plugged into the sub out. That is an RCA connection for if you add an amp and subwoofers.

The modulator is simaler to what you have now, but it plugs into the antenna on the back of your headunit so its a better sound than the FM transmitter you have now but still not the best quality.

I would reccomend upgrading your headunit. Many have the input jack right on the front (for iPods, Zunes, etc.)

I don't want to get rid of the head unit at the moment(Don't have the money and don't see the point of replacing a good unit). It was a gift from my wife a few years ago and I still really like it. If I used the modulator would this solve my problem? I'm not looking for the ultimate quality, I just wanna listen to the music with decent clarity.

You will still have to tune the radio in, its basically the same thing as what you have, but "hardwired."

If you dont want to get a new unit, then get a modulator.

I have a Duel unit and have had it for a while. You need to make sure it is in auxiliary mode, or "AUX" mode. You can do this by selecting the source (Xm, FM/AM, AUX). On mine the rear plugs designated that they were for the I-plug port. Now, I did connect the wrong wires to the wrong port, much like if you connected positive to negative and vise versea. The only other problem I could see is you connected the plug into the sub out wires, I have also done this one since they all look the same.

He doesnt have a Dual headunit. Hes running an older model JVC, with only selectable rear-outs. His only options are the FM modulator (Or transmitter).

An FM transmitter simply runs on batteries, or your 12v plug, and plugs right into the iPod (Or other music source), and sits with the music player. Alot of cars now have antennas on the back of the car, or somewhere hard for the small low power transmitter to transmit. A modulator plugs right into the antenna port on the back of the headunit, and the antenna plugs into the modulator, then I believe you just splice it into the radio harness for power, and run the input wire through the glovebox or wherever you prefer. So theres no moving it around to get the best reception. Its gonna sound a million times better than a transmitter, but still not quite CD quality.

Here are the specs for his unit:
12-5-201011-55-04AM.png

I thank you guys for the advice and words of wisdom. I'm gonna wait till after christmas when money isn't as tight and pick up the modulator. Right now the transmitter is ok but since i cannot select a band that isn't recieivng a signal it doesn't quite work so well. I'll be back in the future with more questions and seeking wisdom.

Sounds good. I need to pick up a FM modulator for my wife's truck. I just bought her a Star Dock and her antenna will not pick it up.

Yea the transmitters are a good concept, however the internal antenna on ALL of them is just so weak. Theres been a few sites that have write ups on how to mod the stock antenna to get alot better signal.

Back