Dual exhuast piping on '02 Sport?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual exhuast piping on '02 Sport??

mstr54

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
Hey, I just put about a 16" long (had to cut) and 3.5" out magnaflow tip on my '02 sport. The engine is a 4.0L SOHC with 2.25" single in/single out muffler. Everything is stock including the 2.25" piping size and resonator. I can tell that the sound is deeper and a little louder but nothing overwhelming.

I am looking to make this a dual setup with another tip on the other side of the spare tire. Could I just split the single piping somewhere to get the piping to the other side or would I lose too much backpressure. I know the setup would be difficult but I think the exhaust shop can do it. I don't want to lose any low end torque and may even think about adding a gibson muffler with 2.25" in/out because I think they don't flow as freely as other performance exhausts. I am not looking to get any change in performance, just not a reduction in performance. Does this sound like a good idea or should I just go with the single tip out the back?

Back