• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust: Y-pipe or Dual out

tygrrwoods

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport XLT
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows if a single in/single out muffler with a y-pipe on the out, for dual out, will perform just as well as a single in/dual out muffler.

The reason I"m asking is because I can't seem to find the muffler I want. Gibson makes a 2.5" single out/ 1.75" dual out which would almost be perfect but its doesnt come in stainless steel, the lay down salt here in MI.

So, basically I'm looking for 2.5" single in/ 2.5" single out with a y-pipe or 2.5" single in/ 2.0" dual out.

Thanks,
-tygrrwoods

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I've heard the Gibson stainless steel rust as bad as the non stainless

cculter said:
I have a flowmaster 3" in dual 2.5" out. I also live in Michigan. I haven't had any problems so far, and I love the sound I get from it.

Is yours aluminized or stainless steel? I don't want to have to replace the exhaust system till the car craps out.

Also, I have a SOHC so I don't want it to flow too freely.

Dan Whitaker said:
From what I've heard the Gibson stainless steel rust as bad as the non stainless

Well then its not stainless then, eh? I believe stainless steel shouldn't rust period. Its just turns colors.

when i had my dual exhaust done i went with a y pipe after the cat and ran the mufflers after the y pipe

DEF A Y pipe, and dont make the exit pipe any bigger than 2.5"

I had dual 2.25" pipes. I then replaced the muffler from a DUAL in to a Y pipe to a single. 2.5" in and I noticed a huge low end torque increase. Just do a 2.25" to 2.5" Y pipe and get a single muffler that is 2.5" in/out.

DSC00744.JPG

DSC00743.JPG

Hm..I dunno if I was specific enough.....

I'm try to put in dual out exhaust. Since dual 1.75" pipes have approx. the same area as 2.5" pipe.

4.81 in^2 (dual 1.75")
4.91 in^2 (single 2.5")
6.28 in^2 (dual 2.0")
7.95 in^2 (dual 2.25")

Since dual 2.0" is a lilttle bigger and with the muffler being the main point of restriction. Then this might be a middle ground ( i got that from one off a search, sorry i didn't quote you). So really this is what I'm shooting for.

So basically I'd put the y connector pipe after the muffler.

tygrrwoods said:
Hm..I dunno if I was specific enough.....

I'm try to put in dual out exhaust. Since dual 1.75" pipes have approx. the same area as 2.5" pipe.

4.81 in^2 (dual 1.75")
4.91 in^2 (single 2.5")
6.28 in^2 (dual 2.0")
7.95 in^2 (dual 2.25")

Since dual 2.0" is a lilttle bigger and with the muffler being the main point of restriction. Then this might be a middle ground ( i got that from one off a search, sorry i didn't quote you). So really this is what I'm shooting for.

So basically I'd put the y connector pipe after the muffler.

Got ya

Does the '03 SOHC have dual in/single out mufflers stock or single in/single out?

Afboy143 said:
Got ya

Does the '03 SOHC have dual in/single out mufflers stock or single in/single out?

Its single in/single out from the cats. I believe 01+ sports and STs where the same way, but I wouldnt quote me on that.

So I found a Y-pipe connector by magnaflow...but its aluminized :fire:
Someones, doesnt want me to have stainless.

tygrrwoods said:
Its single in/single out from the cats. I believe 01+ sports and STs where the same way, but I wouldnt quote me on that.

So I found a Y-pipe connector by magnaflow...but its aluminized :fire:
Someones, doesnt want me to have stainless.

I have a magnaflow Y pipe which is shown above

Why not get a single in/dual out muffleR???

Just spray the Y pipe from time to time with high temp black paint to prevent rust

cculter said:
tygrrwoods said:
Is yours aluminized or stainless steel? I don't want to have to replace the exhaust system till the car craps out.

Aluminized

How long have you've had it?

Afboy143 said:
I have a magnaflow Y pipe which is shown above

Why not get a single in/dual out muffleR???

Just spray the Y pipe from time to time with high temp black paint to prevent rust

2.5'' single in/2.0'' dual out, chambered, stainless steel muffler doesn't seem to exist!

I have the stainless Gibson single exhaust kit on my '01 Sport. Its been on for about a year now and through 1 Michigan winter. It did develop minor rust scale since its a lower grade of stainless than the type that doesn't rust. Its like the stock system...they're usually a low grade stainless, and we know those rust out eventually. The exhaust tip is the higher grade SS and it has no signs of rust yet.

I don't remember the numbers for the types of SS they use, but I can look it up when I get home from work.

It's usually a good idea to always spray your new exhaust with a high temp paint when you first install it. From time to time, check for rust and if found...spray it. This is what friends at a shop told me when I got my first system installed and it works quite well on minimizing the rust.

i thought of coating the pipes with paint, but wont it rust from the inside out first?

tygrrwoods said:
i thought of coating the pipes with paint, but wont it rust from the inside out first?
NO
Just spray it with aluminized paint, no more worrys

stainless gibson kits have lifetime warranty on them. gibson will replace it if it rusts through with the stainless

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back