Dual Moon roof Rattle | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Moon roof Rattle

Today, it chirped away like crazy, so I decided to play with something of a shim... what ended up working was rolling up some tape a few layers thick, wedging it between the seals of the moonroof and fixed glass.

So, at least that kept it quiet, but for a moment. Not that I got any peace with the other plastic rattles and smell from WOT lift-off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I might have gotten it fixed. The left side of the moonroof -- both panes -- were out of spec from the WSM. I adjusted them, if I make it the next week without an issue than, I probably have the issue beat.

I have a similar issue. 2015 Lincoln Navigator. When hitting bumps in the road, with the moonroof mostly or fully closed it rattles. Fully or mostly open it disappears. It appears the cover is flexing and hitting the headliner because upward pressure against the cover also stops it. Any thoughts or fixes?

For me it wasn't the cover but how the rear pane and the front pane were mating. I unscrewed the back pane, pushed it down a touch, screwed it back in and it's been quiet.

For anyone else that has the sunroof rattle, take a 5/16 socket with extension and tighten the 4 or 5 bolts along each side of the back moonroof. Mine was rattling like crazy, after tightening the bolts that hold it to the roof the rattles are gone.
Can’t wait to try this tomorrow... DIY is always so satisfying

I have a 2014 Ford explorer limited with the large panoramic moonroof and I have noticed a rattle coming from the front part of the rear panel of glass. When I push up on the front of the panel the rattle goes away but when I release the pressure the rattle returns, is there any way of fixing this??
Thanks!!

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one. Check out post #17 for a possible fix.

Peter

Back