Duel Exhausts?

ahhjaws

Moab Edition Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Hey, I was looking at duel exhausts a while back because my muffler had like a million holes in it. I went to a Meineke because I didn't have a whole lot of money. I wanted them to put in a custom duel exhaust for the performance, but they told me that they couldn't because where the pipes had to go would get crushed by my leaf springs??!?? If it was custom, couldn't they just re-route them? Oh well, I settled for a 2 1/2 inch cat back. Now I know that people make a duel exhaust for X's, but which manufactures, models? Would it be worth replacing the new one with a duel. I did get a lifetime warranty with it. Would I get more boost?

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It would not at all be worth it by going to dual exhuasts. It wouldn't give you anymore added performance. In fact, it might actually decrease performance some.

Originally posted by Jason_25
It wouldn't give you anymore added performance. In fact, it might actually decrease performance some.

Ill just clarify that this is for the V6 ONLY. The stock exhaust is so restrictive on the V8 models that you should notice an increase in torque and horsepower. I know I did. Now, maybe not much of a increase over a single exhaust, but the duals look so good.

Yep you're right about that. You really don't ever need to worry about backpressure with the 5.0.

What kinda exaust setup you guys running on the 5.0 My wife has 97 with a 5.0, I have looked for cat back for some time and have not found anything.

Eric

from what ive understood running dual on a 4.0 can help or not hurt and looks great only if you run a Y-pipe from the muffler then splitting into 2 tips ......
Chris

I have a 97' 4.0L and my cats are fixing to reach the "end of their natural life," so I am considering an upgrade as well. Is it possible to change the exhaust setup to have fuel economy & performance gain. After reading some other posts, I picked up that most people are running y-pipe out of the exhaust manifold, 1in 1out - 2.5 into the cat, 2.25 out going into the muffler.

Any input would be great! Thanks guys!

Welcome Matt!
A 2.5" consolidation then 2.25" tailpipe is a very good combo. You'll feel some more power, have a better sound, but won't loose too much backpressure. I personally like Magnaflow products and getting custom work at my local muffler shop. Good luck!

I would recommend Gibson. Some of the "other" brands sound like fartcans. Don't get a custom Y-pipe because while it may "look cool" it may decrease performance and there really is no point. Explorer's don't have much room under there so that's why companies don't make duals.

hey ahhjaws

I got my dual exhaust done last summer at a shop near mark turners during a special he was running. He uses stainless steel piping and compared to the previous dual i had it has outlasted much better. i am running 3" tips on mine and i think his special was running 250. just check a thrifty nickel for Mufflers Plus. If you see my Beast around just take a look at it.

Laters

Dual Exhaust on a 5.0

Not sure if this helps or not but I had the same problem with this "squishing" affect. I know that most people that do this are strictly on the performance side but I am on both. If I have an SUV, it has to be able to go on and off road. With that said, after I installed the WAR153 shackles, my problem was elimanated. Now, to clarify, I still am into speed, but I am not lowering my truck. Wider, maybe, but now lowering. Here are some picks of exhaust, if you need any more, let me know. (excuse the STT Tires...)

BLACKBOX-EXHAUST1.JPG

BLACKBOX-EXHAUST2.JPG

I ran 3" chomies out the back and dynoflow glasspacks as mufflers... if you want to call them that. The new system goes on this summer... 2 high-flow cats and 3" stainless, mandrel-bent from cat back. zooma zooma...

PS
don't go with true duals on a v6... you're asking for trouble. Alec, did his the right way ;-)

ive got the SOHC and i put on a dual in/ dual out flowmaster 50 and i didnt notice any decrease in power. I also have a chip and kkm.

Yup, true duals on a V6 :nono:

I even just completely redid mine and stuck with a single pipe setup. A V6 doesn't produce exhaust pulses like a V8 and they don't lend themselves well to a dual setup. Besides the fact that you have to maintain a certain backpressure in a n/a (naturally aspirated) application.

Now I have the JBA headers to a 3" collector, 3" hiflow cat, 3" resonator, 3" Magnaflow turbo muffler, 3" resonator, 2.5" tailpipe.

I recommend 2.5 or 3" until the muffler, a 2.5" muffler, and 2.25" tailpipe for a n/a OHV. The same, but maybe with a 2.5" tailpipe for the SOHC. If you do go dual on a V6, do it from a dual outlet muffler through 1.75" tailpipes, but you'll probably hinder low end torque a bit and it will be a bit louder than a comparable single setup.

Ok, so I have an OHV and I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust. As much as I want a dual exhaust setup, I guess it's just not practical (even with a single in, dual out). So, my question is, should I go with a single pipe rear exit setup by Gibson or Flowmaster?

I got a flowmaster sing in dual out W/2 1/4" pipes.
Pros. Looks & sound.
Cons. Nothing. There are so many bends to get the pipes out that there is no noticiable torgue loss.
No matter what kind of exhaust you run it isnt gonna do much for your X power or speed. Only going to change the sound &/or looks.
So do what you want and dont worry....

Well yes, if the pipe has many kinks in it that effectively reduce the overall diameter, then you can go slightly larger.

Ultimately, the muffler and cats usually have the most effect on backpressure. The tailpipe affects sound. The tailpipe should normally be smaller than the muffler on an X because the gases contract as they cool. Too large of a tailpipe diameter, and you get the 'bumble-bee', pops, and droning.

I want duals mostly for the look and the sound. Bill, how much was your Flowmaster single in-dual out muffler? I was thinking about picking one of those up and having a shop install that and run the pipes out the back.

Any thoughts on this?

I LOVE my dual exhaust. It sounds so damn good. It sounds even better now... I guess because its warmer (it always sounded better after the pipes warmed up) and its broken in. My pipes are not mandrel bent so I'm sure I havent lost much back pressure. I have the SOHC which I believe has the same exhaust system as the V8 - dual in/ single out.

Hartman, that sounds like a plan to me. Are you gonna lower your truck?

Back