• Register Today It's free!

Fake Duel Exhaust

Quick

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Unfortunately I'm not made of money, and I cannot afford a duel exhaust system. So I'm thinking about creating a "fake" one, just use a Y connector to replace my current one, swing it around, and be done with it.

Are there any kits out there that will do a "fake" duel exhaust system? Has anyone had any experiece with this?

Thank you..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same price

For about the same price as a fake dual exhaust you could go with a cat-back single big pipe with a chrome tip and Pro Flo muffler. I had a 3" pipe, Pro-Flo perfomance muffler and a nice chrome wedge tip put on for less than $150 and it's the real thing. Call your local muffler shop and ask. Just a thought...

Pics

Really? Do you you have pictures of your truck with that or know a site that sells that stuff? Have you noticed any increased performance?

Doing an "at the muffler" dual exhaust will not improve performance. I had a dual exhaust installed on my 97 Sport about a year and a half ago. It's very nice looking.

Like pistol_fish (interesting name) said, go to your local muffler shop and see what they can do for you. It's free to ask questions.

upgrades on a budget

Well if you don't already have a KKM Intake I'd suggest doing that first or at least go buy yourself a K&N air filter and put some holes in your air box. A complete KKM air intake is about $90 if I remember right. Search on KKM you'll find a zillion posts. That will give you a 10-15HP increase right away. Then go to a reputable muffler shop and ask them how much to weld on a Pro-Flo muffler, 2 1/2" or 3" pipe, and a chrome tip to replace the exhaust system from the catylitic converter back. (expect $140 - $180) You may notice a slight increase of 5HP to 10HP usually depending on the year and engine in your Exp. Between the air intake and exhaust mods I improved my highway gas mileag by 2mpg and overall mileage by 2-3mpg. Mostly you will notice it sounds great and a fat pipe always looks cool.

okay...just my thought...ive noticed alot of people on here are claiming huge gains from these bolt on parts... no way! 15hp for a KKM? nah. Anyways... in my opinion.. work on the intake before the exhaust...

nick

dyno lies?

Well nick, the before and after on the dyno prints say 138HP before and 149HP after... Maybe you know some kind of math that I don't but I think that's between 10 and 15HP. But I'm sure you have some big logical explanation why this isn't "true HP" so to save everyone the agony of reading this thread from here on out I'll just put it to rest. "If nick says it, it's the truth! bolt on mods do nothing, don't waste your money."

Oooh! I sense some hostility! But thats okay. I wasnt aware that you have take your rig to the dyno. Now im intrested. Can you share any other info about your ride to maybe shed some light on how you got such great gains? Im not sure if my previous posts are on here... but with my mods, I only gained around 19hp. As far as you being 138hp stock (assuming your first number was from stock)... although Im not totally familar with the Limited Explorers... my understanding is that they have the same engine components as the XLT... so why are you 18hp higher than everyone else? Hmmm.... well... to answer my own question... are you manual or automatic? Also is it 4wd or 2wd? If I remeber right the Limited's only came in 2wd... which would account for some of the HP diffrence...

okay guys, anybody know what the drivtrain loss is on a 2wd? the 4wd are around 25% I believe...

nick

[Edited by flyguy on 11-06-2000 at 12:42 AM]

What the manufacture claims and what is are usually two different things. I think KKM's claim at 10 to 15 HP is based on improvements on the largest and most powerful motor they tested. For example, if they put the KKM on a 300 HP turbo diesel motor they could get a .5% increase in HP or, 15 HP. That is not to say that if you put the KKN on a 170 HP 4.0 OHV you would get 15 HP. You would probably free up less than 1 HP. The throttle response would be quicker giving the allusion of more power but that’s about it.

160hp for an OHV! :) I think 15hp from an air filter is pushing it... if I could have gotten those kinds of gains... I wouldnt have spent a few thousand already for 19hp. :(

Back