dumb question Dana 28 or 35 ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dumb question Dana 28 or 35 ?

Reaction score
City, State
seymour,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
i cant find it on here i must not be searching right but can someone please tell me how to find out what front end i have . and my second ? what is the difference between a dana 28 - 35 my truck is a 94 explorer xlt 4x4 4.0 v6 it has an auto trans, and auto hubs. this is my first 4x4 i know nothing about it. 3rd ? could i use a smaller serpentine belt my ac compressor is about shot and was thinking can i use the belt without the ac. thank you all:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your front axle is a d35. Also, you should be able to delete the AC no problem. I know lots on here have done that. The gear ratio for your explorer will be on the door tag. It will be one of these:

43 Open 3200. 3.08#
41 Open 3200. 3.27#
42 Open 4.10#
46 Open. 3.73#
45 Open 3200. 3.55#
D4 Limited Slip 3200. 3.73#
D2 Limited Slip. 4.10#
L73 Limited Slip# 3.73

Regarding the AC, if you want to leave the compressor on and not use it, you can just replace the belt and ignore it. If you want to remove the compressor there is a kit that adds back the pulley so you can use the same belt. One source is LMC Truck, p/n 43-2321. There may be other solutions as well.

..I expanded your question Title for you so others would know what exactly your question is about. More info in the title equals more answers to your question :D

...The Dana 28 is in older versions of Rangers...In 1990 Ford introduced the Dana 35...The hybrid version can be found in 90 - 97 Ford Aerostar AWD's and in 93-97 2.3L Rangers...This can be recognized by it's smooth pumpkin...91-94 Explorers all came with the Dana 35 TTB (Twin Traction Beam) front end

...The Dana 35 hybrid is a mix of the Dana 35 housing with Dana 28 parts...

...None of the Explorers came with either the Hybrid or the Dana 28...

For more info on the difference...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256656

All you have to do is buy the serpentine belt for a non A/C explorer. Its something like 81 inches. The routing is the same except you don't go over the A/C compressor. There is a diagram under your hood.

That belt information is good to know - I didn't want to suggest it without being certain.

ooops

..I expanded your question Title for you so others would know what exactly your question is about. More info in the title equals more answers to your question :D

...The Dana 28 is in older versions of Rangers...In 1990 Ford introduced the Dana 35...The hybrid version can be found in 90 - 97 Ford Aerostar AWD's and in 93-97 2.3L Rangers...This can be recognized by it's smooth pumpkin...91-94 Explorers all came with the Dana 35 TTB (Twin Traction Beam) front end

...The Dana 35 hybrid is a mix of the Dana 35 housing with Dana 28 parts...

...None of the Explorers came with either the Hybrid or the Dana 28...

For more info on the difference...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256656
well i really goofed up when i bought the truck last week i noticed that the lower ball joint was out so i went to autozone got a lower ball joint they said thier was possibly 2 of them so i bought them both a 28 and a 35 a friend of mine put it in for me he put the 28 in and i took the 35 back

dana 28 - dana 35 ?

my friend just bet me 500.00 dollars he said that a d28 lower ball joint wont fit in the d35 . is he right or did i just take his money. please clarify if those parts are in fact interchangeable

Back