dyno questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dyno questions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I found the spec for a 95 its said 3500lb .43 and 28.2. I did some runs with that info on a cheap program not the pqid version I have now,witch I want the right spec but it said 248hp and 368tq so I'm pretty sure that's off but prob not by much hopefully.I want to test it before my gear change and after then go to the real dyno and see how close it is;)

If that's flywheel HP its measuring then might not be too far off.

Wouldn't be too surprised if you're around the 200HP/300TQ range at the wheels.

If you've got a track nearby and you did a run that would give you a better picture of about where you're at.

O yea I'm going to go to the scale and get an exact weight,but this is through a phone app like the old gforce thing that you can put in the car,I'm sure its off even with the right spec,i just want to see how far off,I'm going to my tuner after my gear swap so I will know what it really is.I'm thinking and hoping its really around 200+,really should be!!

Explorer specs

For a 2000 Explorer my Auterra Dyno-Scan Manual lists the drag coefficient as 0.45 and the front area as 25.8 sq ft. My 2000 Sport with a full tank of gas and no driver weighed 3900 pounds on the scale. My stock SOHC V6 RWHP measured 150 hp on the dyno.

well i went to the scale today to get my truck weigh with me in it and speakers and it weigh 4601,also i only had 5gals of gas.so i used the info i got for a 95 witch i know the coefficient of drag and the frontal area is way smaller on a 95 but its roughly close,but i went out and made a couple of passes on the back roads and man is my truck WAY slower than i thought:thumbdwn:the best run i got was a 0 to 60 of10.78 and 1/8 12.06 and 1/4 18.1 and top speed of 78:thumbdwn:hp was 165 at wheels which im pretty sure that just a little off.i was leaven at 2000 rpms and shifting at 5000.im sure when i do my gears all that should come WAY down and probably the hp will go a little and with the right numbers for the coefficient of drag and the frontal area would also bring it up a little.so anyone out there know the right coefficient of drag and the frontal area of a first gen?here are my slips also,two best:thumbdwn:remember this is through a phone app!! :DDROID:D
311mmtt.jpg

a9mwpj.jpg

I read your rwhp as 125, not 165. As I recall a stock OHV is rated around 150 engine hp. Assuming a 20% loss to the wheels gives 120 rwhp. 125 rwhp seems a little low considering the mods that you've done.

125 is at the wheels but you got to add the drag loss hp to that to get rear wheel hp,that's how how I got 165 but that's off because off the 95 specs used.or 198 at crank

Also this is with a phone app and I still got 33x12.50 with 3.73 and no tune

Agreed, those numbers are right in line of what a stock first gen would do. My old 91 ran low 18's when I had it at the track.

Really well I guess the app ain't to bad then,those numbers will drop a lot after my gears

So the question still is if anyone know the specs for a first gen

Not sure how it's calculating HP...I think it's shortchanging you though. How is it measuring the 1/4 mile distance? Or did you measure out a stretch of road yourself and use that?

Gears will help out, especially with the 60ft time seeing as you've got 33's. My best 60ft that I measured on mine was about 2 seconds flat with stock size tires, so I bet with gears you could get it down closer to that. Probably below 2 secs when you get tuned and start spraying....seems like the hardest thing with getting these trucks fast is having enough usable torque to get them moving....NOS will help you a lot with that :)

My friend and i tested a dyno thing like this out on an iphone. It sucked! It said my 0-60 was under 8 seconds for a stock sport, and it said my friends slightly modified camaro was over 11 seconds, sure its a v6, but it still scoots, which it clearly was not. It also rated me at like 260hp or something crazy. If it moves at all when you shift or hit a bump it will be all messed up.

Its uses gps for 1/4,its pretty damn close I did like 6 runs and every one of the was very close.I started in the same spot and it would end me in the same spot everytime.yea I needs gears bad gettting out the hole sucks, but when I hit around 3000 thing starts sceamn. 0-80 is kind of scary in a jack up box on a 1 lane back road.hahaa o I know its shorting me the front end is way different on a 95 so its taking way less off,I'm going to do some more seaching and see if I can find the spec for 1st gens.I really like this app its pretty good and Sport97 your first mistake was using an iphone!!!!!:D DROID:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure how it's calculating HP...I think it's shortchanging you though. How is it measuring the 1/4 mile distance? Or did you measure out a stretch of road yourself and use that?

Gears will help out, especially with the 60ft time seeing as you've got 33's. My best 60ft that I measured on mine was about 2 seconds flat with stock size tires, so I bet with gears you could get it down closer to that. Probably below 2 secs when you get tuned and start spraying....seems like the hardest thing with getting these trucks fast is having enough usable torque to get them moving....NOS will help you a lot with that :)

yea i figure they will probably take around 3 sec off my time and that would put me in the high 15,witch wont be too bad for a jacked up tank:troops: when ever i get to the point off spraying im sure that will REALLY wake this motor up and put me even lower on the track:D

Back