• Register Today It's free!

Dynomax exhaust install

Dolphan

Reaction score
City, State
La Mirada, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
I got a Dynomax CAT back system with a super turbo muffler from JEGS for $95, $102 with shipping and Dynomax has a $25 rebate

Installation was OK, besides the cut finger. I had to saw the old system in two to get the tail pipe out. Two things to keep in mind for those about to do this. First, the old gasket between the CAT pipe and the muffler pipe needs to be removed, mine with needle nose pliers. The new gasket should fit flush over the CAT pipe before you bolt on new pipe back to muffler. Second, make sure you verify connections before tightening bolts, it's very difficult to move pipes after making indentations from tightening clamps. I've read this before on this board about the tail pipe ending up too close and hitting something, make sure it sits in the hanger like the OEM and not shifted to far forward. Mine should be OK. Remember check twice, tighten once, sounds familiar - LOL

When I got my Explorer I removed the baffle in front of the radiator and noticed better throttle response and not the turbo lag I had grown use to. Then I got the KKM air filter it increased throttle response from a standing start but not the HP I thought I would get. The new exhaust is better yet but still not a V8 for those who think this will make their Explorer a dragster. The OEM mufflers are very restrictive I recommend to everyone to replace it or get a system. I have a Limited and didn't want a loud muffler, when I heard this was a super turbo muffler I was hesitent, but the price was right and it is not that loud at all. The mandrel bent pipes are nice 2.25", I have seen bettter welding on mufflers though.

I removed the baffle in front of the radiator and noticed better throttle response and not the turbo lag I had grown use to.

What baffle?? What does it do?

Baffle(d)

The baffle mounts on the front side where the air inlet tube goes to the standard airbox. It is open on the top(?) and closed on the other three sides. It is to prevent water, dirt, leaves from entering directly into the airbox. When facing my Explorer (93) it is just to the left of the grill opening, so it is not a direct path in, also the hose dips before going upto the airbox - some people have put holes in the bottom of this dip for water drainage. Since I have a limited and here in CA water and mud are not a problem for me. I keep saying I'm gonna put a screen over the opening - but...

Back