• Register Today It's free!

Dynomax Exhaust

BobinIL

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 moutaineer
Ok, I installed my new dynomax Super Turbo muffler and 2.5" mandrel tailpipe on my 5.0 Mountaineer tonight. I took it for a test drive and it sounds real good, much deeper than stock. The problem is there is a fairly noticeable drone at 55 to 60 mph. Has anyone tried putting a resonator back in to an aftermarket exhaust? I also need to know if anyone sells an inline resonator for 2.5" pipe. I would use the stock resonator but it is 2.25".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Couldn't they flare the ends of the stock 2.25" resonater and re-use it . I don't think it would cause any performance problems ?

How much did it cost for your system? The only options avalable as a kit for the 99 5.0L are made by Gibson and the other is dynomax. Im trying to choose between the two. I might end up going with Gibson just becuase they dynomax isnt stainless.

OK the drone was more than I could take. I took this thing off in less than 24 hours and put the stock system back on. If dynomax will not take it back I may have a good slightly used one for sale soon. I guess I am to old for that loud stuff. I will know after tuesday whether it is for sale or not.

I've got the OHV V6, but i just installed a Dynomax Super Turbo with custom 2.25" pipe from the cat-back. This exhaust is a little louder than the Flowmaster Force II, and all i had to do was to buy insulation from Home Depot here. I placed the insulation under the cargo carpeting (and factory insulation) to help dampen the drone. IT worked like a charm.
I'd advise you to leave the exhaust in there for a about a month or so, and see if it quietens down after breaking-in.
Although mine's a welded system, i have no qualms about keeping it after added insulation. If you remove the carpet from the cargo area, you'll find out just how thin the sheet metal is in that area. Furthermore, i found one rubber grommet there that covered a big hole that led to the outside. In my opinion, the hole, and the think sheet metal can allow the exhaust drone to enter the vehicle and resonate at a certain frequency, enough to irritate. Try my method, only cost me CDN$10 and about 1hr of my time.

Exhast

I have a 99 XLT with a sohc, do i have one or two 2 1/2 pipes going into the muffler? I really want a new exhast.

Hay Rockymntnhi, What type of insulation did you use?

Well, thankfully they will take the system back minus a 20% fee. So that makes this a $50.00 lesson, could be worse. My advice to anyone thinking of an aftermarket system for a 5.0, the gains are minimal at best for the cost of the system and the amount of noise you will have to put up with. I could barely feel any power difference and lost 2 mpg on the highway. I am just thankful (after reinstalling the stock system) that I can hear myself think at 60 mph again.

You are seriously making me reconsider my thought of gettin an aftermarket exhaust for my truck. I dont have much money floating around so it would suck if i had the same results that you had. I want to hear the exhaust before i buy it.

Back